Adblock support thread

I know its not the exactly right place to bring it up, but has anyone noticed YouTube access issues lately, using adblock? Had vids suddenly not loading, that stopped when I disabled Adblock. Had reports of other slight access issues by others in my household.

Know its probably a bad listing in one of the blocklists and not Adblock per se... havent had time to try and find it. Any suggestions on easier tracking down and reporting on such?

2 Likes

Which blocklist sources are enabled?

A lot... :wink: Running the C327 box with loads of memory, I havent been shy of piling them on. The site count is over 70,000.

I'm away now, but will get the list later. The list hasnt changed for over a month, or longer. Just got the YouTube problem report yesterday morning. No problems up to that point, and havent turned Adblock back on since.

70,000 is about lower side. I'm running about 50k on mt7621. and saw pihole blocklist that with +1M domains.

I had issues with youtube as well, untagged the youtube section from I think Shallalist and now youtube is working fine again.

Note: I have 764K entries and the performance is not that good. I don’t known if that is an adblock issue or the poor performance of OpenWrt for Netgear R7800 in general.

Note 2: Before I had Pi-Hole on a Banana Pro with 3.2M entries. It was faster, but not as effective in not showing ads.

I don’t know if adblock has a kind of Pi-Hole FTL functionality and wether it filters out double entries.

Wow, didn't think I'd provoke a pi##ing contest for blocklist size.... :laughing:

I had more checked than not, all those before the block of country related ones, except hphosts, then none in the "s'es" and "q's", then all the rest but winblock.

Interesting that I have none of the Shalla ones. Probably a mistake someplace, and if it really blocked vids from playing, probably got corrected pretty fast. I haven't had a chance to re-enable Adblocker and see if things are still hosed up.

Wondering if there are sites that track the workings and problems of these lists, that might list an event like this. Would be nice to be able to know about issues, and eliminate problem links. Anything like that out there, or do you have to go to whatever support site there is (or if there is) for each list?

https://zeustracker.abuse.ch

# ZeuS Tracker has been discontinued on Jul 8th, 2019

Thanks for the update!

It took me a while to troubleshoot what was causing uBlock Origin built-in filters to stop updating.

A warning message for urlhaus would be useful, e.g.

urlhaus RPZ domains by abuse.ch, numerous updates on the same day, approx. 3.500 entries. Likely to cause false positives, please add blocked domains to the whitelist (e.g. "github.com" and "githubusercontent.com")

Few days ago I've updated adblock (3.6.5-2) only with a few default config adjustments, see here: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/9474. This change has been backported to forthcoming stable branch 19.07 as well.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the quick reply!

Adblock (START=30) starts before fstab (START=40) and if I want to store adblock files on a USB drive, then there is an issue as the drive is not yet mounted when adblock starts.

Can adblock start be moved to 60 or even 80 so that all systems are up and operational before it starts?

See my answer on github: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/9525

I just installed adblock migrated from pihole,

1. How do I get "DNS Query report" tab in Luci?

2. Has anyone tried adding https://dbl.oisd.nl/ blocklist its is huge and magnificent. Adding this literally made page not responsive. (Xiaomi 3G router)

3. How to update adblock? I'm on 3.5-5.2 but I noticed few people having 3.6.*

I don't have that list, afaik, but in total 764k domains and it's slow too. I don't know if that is adblock or router support related, as my R7800 has poor overall performance in OpenWrt. Using Pi-Hole (3.1M entries) on a seperate SBC (Banana Pro) makes it less slow but that doesn't block hard coded ads, as Google uses in Chrome for example.

Yes I noticed that as well so I had to remove majority of the lists which I had on pihole, looks like we will have to keep lists to minimal on openwrt.

Any idea on how to get "DNS Query" tab? I've enabled adb_report '1' in extras

Reporting is only available in adblock 3.6.x and requires the extra package 'tcpdump-mini', referenced in the online readme.

Just download the ipk package files (referenced in the first post) directly to your router and install them via opkg.

1 Like

Thanks I was able to update it.

Noticed config file already had adb_report which I changed from 0 to 1 but still the tab didn't come up.

tcpdump has been installed as well? If so, please reset your luci cache (rm -rf /tmp/luci-*)

1 Like