Adblock support thread

find: adb_list.overall: No such file or directory
adblock[5648] info : all adblock related services stopped
adblock[5803] info : domain adblock processing started (1.5.1, e717545, 21.11.20                                                                                        18 15:28:37)
adblock[5803] info : backup/restore will be disabled
adblock[5803] info : created volatile firewall rulesets
adblock[5803] info : created volatile uhttpd instances
adblock[5803] info : => processing source 'adaway'
adblock[5803] info :    no online timestamp
adblock[5803] info :    source download finished (409 entries)
/usr/bin/adblock-update.sh: line 1: can't create adb_list.overall/adb_list.adawa                                                                                        y: nonexistent directory
adblock[5803] info :    domain merging failed, skipped
adblock[5803] info : => processing source 'disconnect'
adblock[5803] info :    source download finished (2847 entries)
/usr/bin/adblock-update.sh: line 1: can't create adb_list.overall/adb_list.disco                                                                                        nnect: nonexistent directory
adblock[5803] info : => processing source 'yoyo'
adblock[5803] info :    source download finished (2930 entries)
/usr/bin/adblock-update.sh: line 1: can't create adb_list.overall/adb_list.yoyo:                                                                                         nonexistent directory
ls: adb_list.overall/adb_list*: No such file or directory
adblock[5803] info : block lists with overall 0 domains are still valid, no upda                                                                                        te required
adblock[5803] info : firewall statistics (IPv4/IPv6): 0%/0% of all packets in pr                                                                                        erouting chain are ad related & blocked
adblock[5803] info : domain adblock processing finished successfully (1.5.1, e71                                                                                        7545, 21.11.2018 15:28:46)

hi,
how do i fix this?
thanks.

adblock 1.5.1!? :wink: That's really an outdated & unsupported version. Which OpenWrt release did you use?

I think this might be a bug, i only have a custom blacklist under the advanced tab, If I suspend adblock and try to resume it it doessn't resume.
If I add some something from blocklist sources as well, then suspending/resuming works.

Can't reproduce that. Which version did you use? Please post the output of /etc/init.d/adblock status - thanks.

I will provide more info later.
Adblock is latest openwrt master.
I tried resuming from Luci if that makes any difference.

I've tried the same and it works for me. Try suspend/resume from command line, if that works reset your luci caches (rm -rf /tmp/luci-*) and try again.

root@nighthawk:~# /etc/init.d/adblock resume
root@nighthawk:~# /etc/init.d/adblock status
::: adblock runtime information
  + adblock_status  : paused
  + adblock_version : 3.5.5-2
  + overall_domains : 0 (normal mode)
  + fetch_utility   : /bin/uclient-fetch (libustream-ssl)
  + dns_backend     : dnsmasq (/tmp)
  + last_rundate    : 26.11.2018 20:23:05
  + system_release  : Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800, OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8494-3e19113d5d

And nothing in the log when I try to resume, the suspend event is there tho'.

Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe you could check the adblock init file if it's corrupted.

Mmm no worries, I enabled some spybot and malware lists, so it works now.

Please send me your (compressed) local blacklist as email attachment to my maintainers address and I'll try to reproduce that. Thanks!

@dibdot I am having some trouble installing your latest release. I have been running 3.5.5-2 successfully on the latest stable OpenWrt 18.06.1, as I typically stick with latest stable release of OpenWrt.

Anyway, upon trying to install 3.5.5-4 today, I get the following error:

Upgrading adblock on root from 3.5.5-2 to 3.5.5-4...
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for adblock:
 * 	libssp * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package adblock.

How should I proceed from here?

I understand that libssp is part of GCC toolchain and therefore not a simple package that I would typically be able to install.

Thank you for your time.

Hmm, that's unexpected and most probably unrelated to adblock. Please provide information about your used OpenWrt release (ubus call system board) and the ipk download location - thanks. Could you install other packages?

I always copy my ipk's to: /tmp
And install from there

ubus call system board:

/tmp$ ubus call system board
{
	"kernel": "4.14.63",
	"hostname": "OpenWrt",
	"system": "ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)",
	"model": "Linksys WRT3200ACM",
	"board_name": "armada-385-linksys-rango",
	"release": {
		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
		"version": "18.06.1",
		"revision": "r7258-5eb055306f",
		"target": "mvebu\/cortexa9",
		"description": "OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f"
	}
}

Yes, I just did a quick test by installing another ipk package using the same command from the same tmp location just for testing purposes. That installed without any errors.

Hi Dave,

unfortunately I can't reproduce your problem - even with 18.06.1 all works fine:

Maybe your download archive/ipk is corrupt!?

This turns out to be the likely scenario. I downloaded the .ipk again from another directory and it installed successfully without any errors.

I'm not sure exactly how it happened because the two .ipk's on my system have matching hashes. So it must have something to do with when I copied it to the router via WinSCP. Regardless, the problem is solved now. Thank you.

1 Like

Is the adult list from https://dsi.ut-capitole.fr/blacklists/index_en.php is too big to use?
Other than memory considerations, does a big blacklist affect performance?

Please see this post: Adblock support thread
If you are going to use really big blocklist, try unbound.

Yeah, I ran OOM for that list, I used Shalla's which is slightly smaller. I will merge that with my own so I don't have to use the sorting routine. :roll_eyes: :slight_smile:

Prerequisites

• OpenWrt, tested with the stable release series (18.06)

Is my customised OEM OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 likely to work with this package (I can see it did previously)? How would I know? I won't necessarily have luci running.

Just try it ... the LuCI part won't work!