Adblock support thread

It will take some time for the buildbots to create the new version of the package. Please wait until you'll see something like adblock_3.8.1-1[...]. If you're coming from 3.8.0 you don't need the maintainer option, nor an updated LuCI package (the frontend has not been changed).

1 Like

I still don't see your latest version, 3.8.1. I am not sure why the bots are not building your latest changes?

I've been running 3.8.1 for close to 24 hours now.

Generally, I just look under https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/ and choose one with the most recent date changes. Since the package is for all architectures, it doesn't matter which directory it comes from.

Here is one which has the current package:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/packages/

Cheers!

EDIT: Hang on a few hours, it appears that 3.8.2 has just been pushed. Check those various repos in a few hours for 3.8.2.

2 Likes

Yep, sorry for the mess - just found & fixed a few more bugs in 3.8.1 ... hopefully this one is more stable ... :wink:

I selected the DNS Blocking Variant to be "null (IPv/IP6) dnsmasq only". Do I have to specify addn-hosts or anything else for it to be effective as I am not sure what that means?

I picked all the available blocklist sources, which comes out to 185933 domains. Then, I picked "null (IPv/IP6) dnsmasq only" option as well as 'DNS File Reset'. Do I have to do something with addn-hosts or it's not needed?

When I run the dns query report, it has blocked 24% of the domains:
Total DNS Queries: 10643
Blocked DNS Queries: 2562 (24.07 %)

Your setup looks OK. You don't need any special/manual settings, the addnhosts entry will be done automatically by adblock (check the file /etc/config/dhcp).

One major drawback of the 'null' blocking method is, that it only works per single host entry ... you can't block a whole domain (e.g. including all subdomains) with one single entry. That's may one reason why these pihole guys working with such big blocking lists.

1 Like

I see the following in /etc/config/dhcp.

option serversfile '/tmp/adb_list.overall'

But, /tmp/adb_list.overall is 0 bytes as there is nothing there. What else do you want me to see in /etc/config/dhcp?

root@r7800:/tmp# ll /tmp/adb_list.overall
-rw-r--r-- 1 dnsmasq root 0 Aug 22 08:28 /tmp/adb_list.overall

Then you've switched back to nxdomain?

If you select dnsmasq + nxdomain you'll find something like that in /etc/config/dhcp:

option serversfile '/tmp/adb_list.overall'

If you change to one of the 'null' variants, you'll find this line in your config:

list addnhosts '/tmp/adb_list.overall'

As long as you set the 'DNS File Reset' the produced blocklist will be purged after the DNS backend has loaded the new list ... therefore the 0 byte file is expected.

1 Like

Yes, I switched to nxdomain to check it out. Now, I switched back to 'null' variant and see the addnhosts entry in the dhcp file.

Thank you for enlightening me on this feature and much appreciate it.

1 Like

Anyone else having issues with latest build not blocking anything. 20k in lists but DNS reports how only like 1 or 2% being actively blocked. Never had an issue with 3.6.x builds.

Which adblock version? Please provide the 'global' and 'extra' section of your config ...

I don't have the issue. I am seeing about 34+% being blocked. I posted my results before. My version is 3.8.2 with the latest luci package.

config adblock 'global'
	option adb_basever '3.8'
	option adb_dns 'dnsmasq'
	option adb_fetchutil 'uclient-fetch'
	option adb_trigger 'wan'
	option adb_enabled '1'
	option adb_dnsvariant 'nxdomain'

config adblock 'extra'
	option adb_debug '0'
	option adb_nice '10'
	option adb_forcedns '1'
	option adb_report '1'
	option adb_repdir '/mnt/sda1/adblock'
	option adb_backupdir '/mnt/sda1/adblock'
	option adb_dnsflush '1'
	option adb_maxqueue '8'
	option adb_dnsdir '/mnt/sda1/adblock'
	option adb_dnsfilereset 'false'
	option adb_whitelist '/etc/adblock/adblock.whitelist'
	option adb_blacklist '/etc/adblock/adblock.blacklist'
Adblock Status enabled

Adblock Version 3.8.2

Download Utility (SSL Library) /bin/uclient-fetch (libustream-ssl)

DNS Backend, DNS Directory dnsmasq, /mnt/sda1/adblock

DNS Variant, DNS File Reset nxdomain, false

Backup Directory /mnt/sda1/adblock

Overall Domains 138968
Total DNS Queries547 Blocked DNS Queries8 (1.46 %)

Thanks, that's a known bug in 3.8.2 with the 'dns flush' option (disabled by default). Please set
'option adb_dnsflush '0'', restart adblock and wait for 3.8.3 before enabling this option again ... :wink:

Thanks this solved it for me.

I don't see that option in my config. How does it get to the config file?

via LuCI extra section or via ssh/uci - see readme for details.

1 Like

I installed the latest snapshot for the rt-ac58u. it seems to me the 3.8.2-1 doesnot work with latest unbound.
I'm now using 3.5.5 with latest luci-app-adblock and it works.

Thanks. I know you said that it doesn't work with 3.8.2 but does it help since you have the DNS File Reset option now? DNS File Reset and Flush DNS aren't the same?

In other words, if I enabled DNS File Reset, does it help to enable Flush DNS in your next version?

No, if you enable 'Flush DNS Cache' then adblock will do a hard restart of the dns backend, this takes longer and destroys caches, internal statistics etc. of the dns backend. Usually adblock preserve those caches - it's quite unlikely that you need this option.

1 Like