Adblock support thread

Good to hear actually. I pointed two issues with banip but never got a reply.

1. Blocklist backup cannot be disabled
  2. Reload button missing

just something i wanted to report

If you add a domain to the whitelist and the blocklist the following error occurs, and the UI doesnt reflect this

Mar  3 22:42:06 OpenWrt adblock-4.1.5[15830]: blocklist with overall 191167 blocked domains loaded successfully (Linksys WRT1900ACS, OpenWrt 22.03.0 r19685-512e76967f)
Mar  3 22:42:13 OpenWrt named[15953]: dns_master_load: /var/lib/bind/adb_list.overall:329364: domain.tld.rpz: multiple RRs of singleton type
Mar  3 22:42:13 OpenWrt named[15953]: zone rpz/IN: loading from master file /var/lib/bind/adb_list.overall failed: multiple RRs of singleton type
Mar  3 22:42:13 OpenWrt named[15953]: zone rpz/IN: not loaded due to errors.

Please provide your adblock config, too.

config adblock 'global'
	option adb_enabled '1'
	option adb_debug '0'
	option adb_forcedns '0'
	option adb_safesearch '0'
	option adb_dnsfilereset '0'
	option adb_mail '0'
	option adb_backup '1'
	option adb_dns 'named'
	option adb_fetchutil 'wget'
	option adb_tmpbase '/tmp.d'
	option adb_backupdir '/tmp.d/blocklist_backup'
	option adb_repiface 'br-lan'
	option adb_report '1'
	list adb_sources 'adaway'
	list adb_sources 'adguard'
	list adb_sources 'adguard_tracking'
	list adb_sources 'android_tracking'
	list adb_sources 'andryou'
	list adb_sources 'anti_ad'
	list adb_sources 'antipopads'
	list adb_sources 'disconnect'
	list adb_sources 'openphish'
	list adb_sources 'phishing_army'
	list adb_sources 'smarttv_tracking'
	list adb_sources 'winspy'
	list adb_sources 'yoyo'

Hey @dibdot! I noticed a while back that one of the lists I maintain is included as an option in the AdBlock package, which is awesome. I'm not a big forum guy, but I figured it would probably be a good idea to mention that I produce TLD-compressed variants of my lists. It appears that you're using my plain domains blacklist, so here's the URL for the compressed version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bongochong/CombinedPrivacyBlockLists/master/NoFormatting/cpbl-ctld.txt

Lists of mine which are optimized in such a fashion are run through an additional set of exclusion patterns to ensure that my primary whitelist is properly applied to them, so switching over to that URL in the adblock.sources file would be a win-win (more efficient, and less manual whitelisting work for users).

Many thanks for maintaining this vital software. Your adblock package - and the simple-adblock package (maintained by @stangri) - have been immensely valuable to me since I first started running OpenWrt.

6 Likes

OpenWrt 22.03: DNS hijacking firewall rules added by adblock only apply to IPv4 DNS. DNS requests via IPv6 pass through normally.

E.g. dig cloudflare.com @2001:4860:4860::8844 goes directly to Google's IPv6 DNS server.

Solution:

Add rules with explicit ipv6 family specification:

config redirect 'adblock_lan53_ipv6' <------ this one
	option name 'Adblock DNS (IPv6, lan, 53)' <------ this one
	option src 'lan'
	option proto 'tcp udp'
	option src_dport '53'
	option dest_port '53'
	option family 'ipv6' <------ this one
	option target 'DNAT'
1 Like

Probably it's easier to use option family 'any' since corrections were made to expose family configuration in Forwards of luci-app-firewall.

Thanks, I'll take a look with the next update.

@dibdot Could you please add the possibility to input links for custom lists? That would make the extension more versatile.

1 Like

Muchas gracias!

@bongochong @timur.davletshin @kimboslice

your issues were fixed in 4.1.5-7

adblock: update to 4.1.5-7

• fix cornercase issue with duplicate entries in black- and whitelist
  • change cpbl source URL
  • firewall redirects now blocks IPv4 and IPv6 (set family to "any")
6 Likes

t.co/ is blocked. I tried to whitelist with: https://t.co/* and t.co/
Thanks!

Don't add any slashes, just the domain

ex:

example.com
do.notblock.com

For your scenario, just use:
t.co

2 Likes

Great, thank you very much, after a long time searching for the cause, this one did the trick.

Hi there, I've been running adblock successfully for years, but have recently been unable to load the DNS Report view. Luci shows " SyntaxError: JSON.parse: end of data when property name was expected at line 423 column 1 of the JSON data". This occurs even if I deselect all blocklist sources, save, and refresh. Ad blocking itself seems to run fine. Any suggestions for diagnosing or fixing this?

Just experienced something strange. Was unable to get to an s3.amazonaws.com site and drilling down, it was flagged by openphish.com

+ adb_list.openphish.gz s3.amazonaws.com

Looking at that list, it had entries for

https://s3.amazonaws.com/appforest_uf/f1679602652825x787279614073659100/indexx.html#3mail@b.c

https://s3.amazonaws.com/appforest_uf/f1679914677062x522763567419011840/indexshare.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/appforest_uf/f1679735298125x279402088268565730/scrib.html?email=3mail@b.c 

but was blocking anything that had s3.amazonaws.com as the domain.

Is this an issue with the way openphish is formatting their list or in the way Adblock breaks it down or something else?

1 Like

Adblock works by blocking whole domains, so your list is blocking all of s3.amazonaws.com. Everything after that in the URL is of no consequence, as it's just the document location on the domain host.

So using openphish list as it is currently presents a problem.

You could add that one domain to the adblock whitelist, which would allow it through. I've had to do that on ipinfo.io to let it through...

I had the same problem, so when I checked the actual openphish it contains the main s3.amazazonaws.com as part of their blocklist.

I just disabled openphish on mine hahaha