Adblock support thread

Getting an odd type error: result[0].trim is not a function in the luci app. The tool itself seems to be working correct.

@sandinak @dorozyoka restart your router, reset all your browser caches or use a different browser for re-testing.

1 Like

The new luci-app-adblock Version git-20.131.47987-bcdb9fd-1 fixed the issue, great work, thanks!

What's the DNS encryption to use in conjunction with adblock?? Something like DNScrypt or Stubby maybe?

I'm using Stubby with the dnsmasq-full package for DNS over TLS + DNSSEC. I'm using dnsmasq-full because the normal dnsmasq package didn't support DNSSEC. At least in my experiences it didn't work.

I am using openwrt 19.07.2 I just install adblock and its dependencies. Although there are many things to set in read me, it blocks ads in web pages without these setting. But it doesn't block the youtube ads. I need help about youtube issue.

i am using adblock 4.0.4 and i cant block anything over ipv6, its like adblock is not working at all, i hadnt this issues with older versions, but with this one makes me mad, i used to use pihole, but i decited to make my network topografy simpler, so i put rpi3 out of it, i am using a linksys EA8500 with latest kong build (k 4.14.179) , i have tried anything in adblock settings, forcing local DNS, flush DND but the result is the same ...... with 107000 blocked domain i am getting this!!!!

Reading through this, am I right to think that there's no way to allow ads on a particular website - ie Salon.com detects the adblocking and refuses to load, but I can't just whitelist salon.com because that host isn't the problem, it's all the Google ad servers they want to show, is that right?

last adblock is a bunch of ....... soon after installing it it lets ipv6 filled with useless ads, disabling ipv6 makes it work again! but enabling it and you get this

Hi. First, thanks for the excellent adblock solution for OpenWrt.

The energized lists seemed to have had issues with github and were moved to another location (https://block.energized.pro/).

I've manually edited the adblock.sources file to point to the new location. However, I noticed that some of the domains could not be parsed as they included a very long string it would seem. For example, "7472756574727565747275657472756574727565747275657472756574727565.com" was one of the domains that had an error being parsed. I'm using unbound as a recursive dns so I'm not sure if this is specific to unbound not being able to parse through long strings as domains.

Any idea what's going on with the energized lists and parsing errors in unbound?

Cheers

Yep, that has been fixed in latest 4.0.5.

For which list/source did you noticed that?
Thanks!

this is unrelated to adblock - adblock works per dns instance not per IPv4 or IPv6 ... your dhcp config seems to be borked for whatever reason.

The above "domain" seems to be invalid (more than 63 chars long) ... contact the energized authors to remove this one ...

Thanks for checking. This was for the Ultimate and Unified lists. Didn't check with other lists but suspect they'll have similar issues if covering such an extensive list.

Thanks. I thought it was a character limitation. There are a few more domains that generate the same issues when parsing. Issue identified as least. Thanks for clarifying.

As the Unified list breaks the DNS recursion with unbound it may be advisable to include a warning message when using with unbound. I haven't tried with other dns providers.

I've fixed this in adblock 4.0.5v2, this version limit the domain name length to max. 63 chars for all sources (incl. black- and whitelist).

Thanks for bringing this up!

Fantastic, thanks!

I have a 64 MB RAM router with adblock connecting its Wan port to a Lan port on the main router GW (which uses wifi and wireguard).
other hosts are connected to Lan ports of the adblock router.

in ablock I do see in DNS report DNS requests but only if I choose the startup trigger interface as either Lan or Wan , If I choose 'unspecified' then the DNS report is empty after refreshing it.

though, I have 67,000 blocked domains, it is quite difficult to discern if DNS blocking is working? as I understand https adblocking sites may not show the affect of the adblock service?

which interface should I be using with the setup I am using above? or maybe I should abandon this project unless I have a 128MB router?

as I am still getting a lot of ads displayed, perhaps, I should expect I also must have ublock origin in the browser, as adblock isn't enough?

Hi
The oisd_nl source seems to point to https://dbl.oisd.nl. However, this domain now directs to https://hosts.oisd.nl/ which includes a list with 0.0.0.0 entries. The current regex filter is based on full domains. This returns an error when parsing through the list.

I copied another regex filter that parses through 0.0.0.0 entries and it runs OK now. I'd suggest editing the regex filter for the oisd_nl list to parse through 0.0.0.0 entries.

Cheers

Thanks! Fixed / updated in 4.0.5-3

adblock: update 4.0.5-3

* fix oisd_nl source parser (format has been changed)
* enable safesearch support for kresd (ip based)