Adblock doesn’t block ads

Good evening, I installed adblock and selected some blacklists to block. Everything works fine, but I can't block a lot of advertisements, like Google's for example. P.S: My router is configured as an AP (dumb access point), and therefore uses the dns of my main router. If that's the problem, could you help me solve it? Thanks in advance.

Posting

/etc/init.d/adblock status 

Would help tell us something as a start.

Does it work little or not at all?

AdBlocker never blocks anything that complies with ads rules, like have a add warning of proper size.

It works little. Google ads are the most frequent and I would have really liked being able to block them. Isn't there any list that can at least block some of them? Thanks anyway for the advice

::: adblock runtime information
  + adblock_status  : enabled
  + adblock_version : 4.1.3
  + blocked_domains : 169012
  + active_sources  : adaway, adguard, adguard_tracking, anti_ad, anudeep, bitcoin, disconnect, energized, oisd_full, op
                      enphish, phishing_army, reg_it, smarttv_tracking, spam404, stopforumspam, whocares, yoyo
  + dns_backend     : dnsmasq (-), /tmp/dnsmasq.d
  + run_utils       : download: /bin/uclient-fetch, sort: /usr/libexec/sort-coreutils, awk: /bin/busybox
  + run_ifaces      : trigger: lan, report: br-lan
  + run_directories : base: /tmp, backup: /tmp/adblock-Backup, report: /tmp/adblock-Report, jail: /tmp
  + run_flags       : backup: ✔, flush: ✘, force: ✘, search: ✘, report: ✔, mail: ✘, jail: ✘
  + last_run        : reload, 8m 41s, 123/38/17, 15.02.2022 21:29:31
  + system          : TP-Link Archer C6 v2 (EU/RU/JP), OpenWrt 21.02.1 r16325-88151b8303

You can't do that with DNS based adblocking, your adblocker would have to be able to read, understand and filter the site code for that to be effective, this can only be done inside the browser (plugin), after the decryption of the https/ ssl session.

--
or using an intercepting proxy with wildcard ssl certificates imported into all client devices, possible, but a rather high maintenance/ enterprise solution with extremely ugly side effects.

1 Like

Which plugin should I install in the browser to do this?

uBlock origin, for instance.

3 Likes

Ghostery, NoScript and Privacy Badger are good too.

1 Like

Ok, thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.