Accessing Wi-Fi through WAN

I'm really not that great at networking but I'm trying to learn a few things using OpenWrt but i struggling with my project. The idea was to be able to connect from LAN to Wi-Fi and vise versa.

I have a router that has 3 ports, one connected to a modem, another connected to a switch and another connected to my AP running OpenWrt. I'm trying to access the currently configured Wi-Fi on the AP via LAN but I seem to be either misunderstanding or doing something wrong, because it doesn't work as expected.

I setup gateways and routes on my router to be able to pinpoint the subnets, but the only way I can reach the Wi-Fi networks is from the router itself, but not via any other devices available on the LAN. Apparently the route is not available to systems on LAN because I have to setup a route on my workstation to the AP, any other routes that I'd figure would lead to the Wi-Fi breaks my entire network connection. The switch that I'm using is on the same LAN as the router, so i figured i don't need to tell it any of the routes, since the router is handling those.

I also tried port forwarding because NAT is the issue here, but I have had no success either.

I'm at a loss, help would me much appreciated

There is no information to help with.

Is Openwrt configured as a dumb AP? Is Wi-Fi enabled? It is disabled by default.

This is unclear. What do you mean by "accessing Wi-Fi"?

Standard config + Wi-Fi" (dedicated interface with dedicated /24 for each 2.4 and 5Ghz ssid)

I am trying to ssh into a box or access a web interface. I generally want to be able to connect to any device that is available in any of the Wi-Fi networks and vice versa.

If you plan to use it as an AP, "standard config" won't do.

That's probably the problem. You can set random /24 without any routing set.

So does this mean you have a total of 3 networks (each /24) -- one each for wired, 2.4G wifi, and 5G wifi?

What is your connectivity goal here? Do you want them to behave as if they are all part of one network? If so, the best option is to actually make them one contiguous network by setting up your OpenWrt device as a dumb AP.

If, on the other hand, you really want/need them to be different networks, you need to make sure the routes are installed on the main router and that you've properly configured the OpenWrt one... in that case, please show the main router's static routes page and then the following configuration for your OpenWrt router:

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

Your OpenWRT is currently routing, NATing and firewalling, as it is in default config.

You want other LAN devices connected on the WAN side to be able to reach devices on the WiFi side. The default config is blocking that.

To change that, you need to reconfigure it to become a dumb access point.

1 Like