Accessing the device when using relayd

@anon69880279
You mean all of them should have the same SSID? - I tried that as well, but doesn't change the situation.
On my picture the LAN interface is the ethernet connector of my repeater, but it isn't connected with a cable.
The other interfaces are connected via wifi.
I also can't see the difference between your and my configuration.

@vgaetera
I thought about it, but this means different subnets and probably problems when connecting from a repeater to a different repeater with the same SSID.

My current problem is the same as described in the wiki, so it's nothing really unexpected. Just thought there would be maybe a workaround.

Yes : the same SSID for all

All is with static IP ( no DHCP )

My network:

Master Router <-LAN-> Wired computers
Master Router <-WIFI-> … DUAL-MODE

All Openwrt box's ( GL-Inet - NEXX - KIMAX - ) are in Repeater mode with the same SSID as the master Router - WR1200JS is also in repeater mode but HIGHSPEED

GL-MT300V2%20-%20DLNA%20-%20Copie

Be careful with Windows 10 it is possible that you can not connect clients together

Thank you, but it doesn't matter if they have the same SSID or not, the problem persists in both ways.

I'm using Linux, so no problem here.

You must always connect with the same SSID as the router you associated in the repeater configuration

Why use different SSIDs, that is useless?

It only works with clients with static addresses
It does not work or not very well in DHCP

I know it wouldn't make sense to use different SSID's with relayd. I just changed it for testing purposes, that's all.

I feel like there won't be a better solution than described in the wiki.

Also found out that restoring config backups is causing problems so I went back to the original firmware. Less troubles there, but also less functionality.

Maybe I will try OpenWrt again in the future with WDS.

Anyhow thank you for all your answers!
This topic can be closed.

I cannot use WDS in France because no internet box (all access providers) have this possibility

WDS is limited to 54 Mbps

for me relayd run fine:
USB HDD ( ntfs and others )
USB printer ( p910nd )
USB scanner ( sane )
upnp / minidlna
internet acces for TV Samsung or LG with only LAN without WIFI

I compile the firmwares to have the desired options

Hello guys,

Have you tried the old recipes method?

old recipes relayclient

If I am allowed, I am going to transcribe the full section here

Enable access from client network

After this the relay should work, however you will have trouble reaching the router from the client network if the client ip is not changed. To get to it you'll need to manually set the IP address on your computer to an IP address on the same subnet (like 192.168.2.201 if you set the router lan ip to 192.168.2.1).

This is kind of tedious, but you can set things up so you can get it from the client network.

Run ifconfig and take note of the IP address assigned to wlan0. Then tell the relayd that this is the routers IP address with the following config in /etc/config/network:

config interface 'stabridge'
option ipaddr '192.168.1.35'

UCI CLI commands:

uci set network.stabridge.ipaddr=192.168.1.35
uci commit network

You should make sure the main router is statically assigning the relay router the same IP address all the time.

Alternately, it is possible to perform all of the above automatically using hotplug.

To do this, add the following lines to /etc/hotplug.d/iface/<xx>-relay:

# enable access from client network
[ "$INTERFACE" = wwan ] || exit 0
[ "$ACTION" = ifup -o "$ACTION" = ifupdate ] || exit 0

. /lib/functions/network.sh; network_get_ipaddr ip wwan;
uci set network.stabridge.ipaddr=$ip

uci commit network

Note: here the bridging interface was named stabridge, in the real case scenario you have to adapt it to your interface name. So the instruction should be: uci set network.interface_name.ipaddr=$ip

Now, each time the wwan interface is brought up, or its IP address changes, hotplug assigns wwan's IP to stabridge.

Thanks and sorry to bump an old thread but I think it is important to make note of a solution that is already present in the openwrt resources.

1 Like

Thanks @mccurly! This worked for me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.