Access Internet after new installation

I have finally taken the plunge into the world of OpenWRT and am finding it quite difficult to get started!
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have successfully upgraded a Netgear R7800 to OpenWRT 19.07.2
This is going into a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and connecting to Plusnet Fibre (UK)
All connected via physical cables.

Windows 10 PC -> R7800 -> Vigor 130 -> Telephone Socket

After following several guides, I am still unable to get wired internet access through the router.

The modem is set to "Bridge Mode" and reports that I have an uplink.
The PC is successfully getting an IP address via DHCP. (presumably from the R7800)
I can connect to the LuCI interface via my PC at

I have interfaces set up as follows
As well as the defaults, I have tried to set up a PPPoE connection to my modem.

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr ''
	option netmask ''

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fdaf:357b:e852::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'eth1.1'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr ''
	option netmask ''
	option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '1 2 3 4 6t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '5 0t'

config interface 'MODEM'
	option proto 'pppoe'
	option password ' '
	option ipv6 'auto'
	option username ''
	option ifname 'eth0.2'

I never seem to be given a Plusnet IP in the WAN interface. Is this what I am expecting?

I currently get the following statuses in Network->Interfaces


Protocol: Static address
Uptime: 0h 10m 23s
MAC: 78:D2:94:B5:C8:88
RX: 777.08 KB (7766 Pkts.)
TX: 2.43 MB (4644 Pkts.)
IPv6: fdaf:357b:e852::1/60


Protocol: DHCP client
Uptime: 0h 10m 36s
MAC: 78:D2:94:B5:C8:89
RX: 235.23 KB (4564 Pkts.)
TX: 339.46 KB (6037 Pkts.)


Protocol: PPPoE
MAC: 78:D2:94:B5:C8:89
RX: 247.57 KB (4809 Pkts.)
TX: 351.48 KB (6286 Pkts.)
Error: Unknown error (AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED)

I have tried changing lots of different config items based on various guides I've found on the internet with no success.
(Both devices have been reset to factory since, so has cleared all of these trials)

Hoping someone can give me some pointers on what to try next.
Thanks in advance.

Seems like you're using a DSL connection. These often require the WAN protocol to be PPPoE -- this would give you a place to enter your login credentials and you should be good to go once that is setup.

I think this is what I tried to do with the "MODEM" interface. But this gives the error of AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED

I'm not personally familiar with DSL/PPPoE login processes, so I can't advise properly here beyond the general statements. If you modem is in bridge mode, it should pass a public IP address to your router's WAN. But I'm not sure if the PPPoE login needs to happen on the modem itself or on the router. Hopefully someone else can provide appropriate insight/info.

1 Like

Delete that modem interface, and edit the WAN interface to be PPPoE and put your credentials there.


It happens on the most upstream router, not on the modem.


The IP of the modem is only to log into the modem for local administration. It does not lead to the Internet. Once you have configured the modem to bridge mode, you don't necessarily need to support on your router at all.

Authorization failed means that the router made contact with the ISP, but they are not allowing it to connect. Beyond the obvious possibility of incorrect username / password, when the modem is bridged, the ISP sees the MAC address of your router not the modem. Some ISPs reject that with an authentication fail. You need to either wait a period of time or contact the ISP and have them release the MAC address. (or spoof the modem MAC into the router, but that is kind of a klugey solution.)


I reset again and set up from scratch - and it now appears to be working!
Not sure what I've done differently or whether something has happened at the ISP end.

Thanks for the help. It proved I wasn't doing something madly wrong!

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.