Access installed USB hdd

Installed: USB hard drive. It is seen as /dev/sda1. The hdd timeout is set to 10 minutes.

/dev/sda1: UUID="6e0757c3-e75e-4e82-b602-2161770c5e0c" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="4ca32a00-01"

I want access to this drive and I'm asking for a URL or How-To to DIY. Thnx.

What about the Wiki? https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/storage/usb-drives should get you started.

1 Like

hmmm...

root@OpenWrt:~# block detect | uci import fstab
root@OpenWrt:~# 

I think that command is not supposed to return any command.
What is the contents of "/etc/config/fstab" now?

root@OpenWrt:~# uci show fstab
fstab.@global[0]=global
fstab.@global[0].anon_swap='0'
fstab.@global[0].anon_mount='0'
fstab.@global[0].auto_swap='1'
fstab.@global[0].auto_mount='1'
fstab.@global[0].delay_root='5'
fstab.@global[0].check_fs='0'
fstab.@mount[0]=mount
**fstab.@mount[0].target='/mnt/sda1'**
**fstab.@mount[0].uuid='6e0757c3-e75e-4e82-b602-2161770c5e0c'**
fstab.@mount[0].enabled='0'
fstab.@mount[1]=mount
**fstab.@mount[1].target='/mnt/sdb1'**
**fstab.@mount[1].uuid='24fdf7ff-24de-4d8c-8720-cefba51e949c'**
fstab.@mount[1].enabled='0'
      • and thank you for your response.

How do I access the device from another computer?

Change enabled to 1 so it will actually mount. Then you should see the files under /mnt/sda1.

This has become somewhat confusing. I believed I had a thumbdrive as the exroot partition as /dev/sda1 and the media storage hdd as /dev/sdb1. Now they read in reverse. And neither appear enabled in fstab.

So that I don't harm this, what do I need to check to see if the exroot is working?

You can change the location of mount points however you want. /mnt/sdX are purely from block detect and don't need to correspond to the drives /dev name. At runtime the partitions are referenced by their UUID, which is written on the partition when it was formatted and won't change as hardware is moved around. I usually create a /data or /srv in root and mount external drives under that, leaving /mnt empty for temporary mounts.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.