Access DSL Bridged Modem with VPN and OPR Active - How to?

Setup:

I am using OpenWRT LEDE (Cybrnook build) “LEDE-STABLE Reboot 17.01-SNAPSHOT r3356-8b9f7bd / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.110.53878-16ffea4)” on a WRT1900AC V1 and I have a Netgear DM200 VDSL2 Modem configured as a Bridge. I login via the WRT1900AC under “PPPoE” protocol. The WRT1900AC does the login and password with the DM200 just providing DSL connectivity; no routing or any thing else on the DM200.

The WRT1900AC has a static IP set at 192.168.2.1 and the DM200 has a static IP set at 192.168.5.1. They are on different subnets.

I have setup OpenVPN (VPN) and OpenVPN Policy-Based-Routing (OPR) services added to the LEDE build via the “System-Software” tab and all is working OK. I can use OPR to direct all my PCs or STBs (all with static IPs on 192.168.2.*) to either the WAN or the VPN (tun0).

OPR can be found at: https://github.com/stangri/openwrt-packages/blob/openvpn-policy-routing/net/openvpn-policy-routing/files/README.md . Thanks to @stangri for all his hard work on OPR.

Problem:

The problem I have is that I cannot find a setup that allows me to access the DSL Modem DM200 at 192.168.5.1 with OPR enabled. I want to check from time to time the status of the VDSL2 connection (connect speed etc.) and that is available via the GUI of the DM200.

When I turn off (disable) OPR and just leave the VPN on/active I can get access to the DM200 via the setup provided by “Simplexion” at https://simplebeian.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/accessing-your-modem-from-openwrt-router/. I changed the IPs to my setup and named the new interface “DSL_Modem” with a static IP of 192.168.5.2 and mask of 255.255.255.0. and the physical interface of: “Switch VLAN: "eth1.2" (DSL_Modem, wan, wan6)”

I have tried making an entry (top of config=first priority) to OPR configuration that I thought would allow access to the DM200 but it did not work. I did a few different setups but no luck. Entry to “/etc/config/openvpn-policy-routing” config file is:

config policy
option gateway 'wan'
option comment 'DSL_Modem'
option remote_addrs '192.168.5.1'

Question:

How can I keep the VPN and OPR services enabled/active and still allow me to access the DM200 DSL Modem GUI at 192.168.5.1 from PCs with static IPs of 192.168.2.* on my WRT1900AC router?

Anyone with deep VLAN/iptables expertise can help out? OPR creates a new chain in the mangle table and creates iptables rules based on user-created policies. But for the life of me I can't figure out why it breaks access to the modem.

@FCS001FCS
I had same problem and was able to fix it with your post: VPN Policy-Based Routing + Web UI -- Discussion

But for me one problem remains as i'm not able to enable "strict policy enforcement" without loosing access to my modem.
The problem seems that there is no Gateway IP set for my modem interface and if i set one i loose access to the internet because my router will not use pppoe anymore and instead trying to use my modem gateway IP for the internet connection.

Do you have any solution for this?

Sorry, I do not have a solution. I do not enable "strict policy enforcement" so it works for me.

Maybe some more knowledgeable person in this forum can help you.

Anyone?

For others: see the thread VPN Policy-Based Routing + Web UI -- Discussion for some more background on this issue. This topic is mixed in with other topics in the thread.

Thanks for your reply. I've asked for some help in the offical VPR thread but no one realy replied to my problem...
The only response was this:

Yes, the 0.0.0.0 was being detected as invalid gateway in some of the newer versions only. Please try the vpn-policy-routing 0.0.2-27 where this code was regressed.

I've installed version 0.0.2-27 and also 0.0.2-28 but it didn't help.
I was so happy when i saw your solution with the modem and it did work but sadly "strict enforcement" breaks the solution and therefore i don't have a working killswitch for my VPN.
:frowning:

In my setup the Fritzbox handles the DSL and my WRT3200 does all the router functions. So PPPOE is done by the Fritzbox not the WRT3200.

In my case im using a bridged modem and my WRT3200 does the PPPoE connection and everything else.
As i said, the problem seems to be that there is no gateway set for my modem interface and therfore VPR reports the gateway of the modem interface as 0.0.0.0.
If i set the Modem IP as gateway i loose internet access as the PPPoE doesn't work as IPv4 Upstream connection anymore. It's so weird and i can't help myself...

I've created an issue thread at github, maybe this problem can get fixed in future versions.
Anyway i'm still hoping that someone is able to help me with this problem.

I had the same issue as yourself, and thankfully I was able to gain access to my bridged modem because of your posts. :slight_smile: I then encountered the same problems when using strict policy enforcement.
A way around this for me was to disable strict enforcement in VPR and add a firewall rule to my firewall config that prevents forwarding for my VPN clients (they have a specific IP range) to the WAN interface.
That way I can prevent them from accessing the internet if the VPN interface is down.

/etc/init.d/firewall

config rule
option dest 'wan'
option name 'drop noVPN'
option src '*'
option src_ip '192.168.178.32/27' #my VPN clients, IPs 32-64
option target 'DROP'

That seems to work alright, even though it is not the most elegant solution.