AC3200ACM Linksys Optimization 2.4 Ghz

Hello Fellow Openwrters (Patent Pending)

So i have already done quite a bit of research on this router after i bought it in 2018 (Buyers Remorse). This router has a great 5 Ghz radio in my opinion and i have never had issues with it. The 2.4 Ghz radio which is required because i still have devices that use it (Mainly 3 Simplisafe Cameras, Simplisafe Doorbell, and some IOT Devices (Think Lightbulbs (So Far) is terrible. I have never seen all of my devices assoicate with the 2.4 Ghz radio its usually around 3/4th of them will connect and the rest will refuse to connect.

I am using OpenWrt 21.02 rc2 with the default settings and packages except obviously i locked the device/wifi down.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! I plan on replacing this with an AX router as soon as more of my devices support it and more importantly OpenWRT does.

Disabling WMM (only for the 2.4 GHz radio!) is generally considered to help interoperability for mwlwifi, but as a consequence that also disables 802.11n support and limits your wireless to <54 MBit/s - that would be enough for random IoT devices, but may not provide enough throughput for your wireless surveillance cameras (sorry, mwlwifi is a dead end, only replacing this will really fix the situation).

Update: I had a Raspberry Pi 4 8 GB sitting around collecting dust and a alfa awus036ach. I first attempted to use just the embedded wifi chip in the raspberry pi 4. It was okay however it struggled to maintain a stable link with my cameras/smartlights/door lock. I had to install the Module for the awus036ach before it worked with linux. When i did RaspAP picked it up and i was able to use that to service all my smart devices.

I still use the expensive router for 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Its just certain devices do not play nice with it. Thanks Marvel for selling your wireless communication division.

I will be keeping the ac3200acm router in service, but as soon as AX routers (6Ghz) become compatible with Openwrt. I am jumping ship from Linksys unless their next WRTXXXXX uses more friendly chipsets.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.