About Openwrt Packages?

Hello. I want to install openwrt on my Xiaomi 4A Gigabit Edition device. I have FTTH Internet infrastructure at home and I access the Internet via router -> ont. In default software packages "base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools ip6tables iptables kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-ipt-offload kmod-leds-gpio kmod-mt7603 kmod-mt76x2 libgdcdchdc libgdcdhdc libgdcdhdc libgdcdhdc -ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-wolfssl" these are included but I don't want to use them all. I especially do not want to use systems such as firewall logd. I wonder if I remove any of these packages so that I can use my router without any problems? It is enough for the web interface, wifi and internet to be active, I do not want the rest of the features.

You mean that you would not want any system logging, and you do not need firewall (and NAT) at all?

It wouldn't. The packages included pretty much enable the "use the router".
(dnsmasq is the DHCP adn DNS, dropbear is the SSH console to the router, wpad is the wifi, procd is the core process manager, uci is the IOpenWrt main config parser etc.)

The only strange packages on that list are the libgdcdchdc variants.

4 Likes

Yes, I do not want to use the log feature and firewall feature of the system. I want to use the router only to give internet to the devices in my house via wifi. fiber cable -> ont -> router -> devices .. this is my only purpose :slight_smile:

"base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear fstools kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-ipt-offload kmod-leds-gpio kmod-mt7603 kmod-mt76x2 libc libgcc mtd netifd odhcp6c opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-wolfssl" packages will be enough for web panel, ftth internet and wifi? We only enter the PPPOE username and VLANID=35 values.

NAT (i.e. the translation of Private-to-Public IP) requires use of the firewall (e.g. masquerade). Were you assigned a block of public IP addresses by your ISP for assignment on LAN, hence making NAT unnecessary?

The packages you listed don't include those for the LuCI web GUI. I surmise the phrase "enough for the web panel" means you desire to have the web GUI, correct?

BTW, this seems like an older version of OpenWrt, as it now uses nftables.

3 Likes

The NAT feature is required for internet use, but I didn't know that this feature was enabled with the firewall. Another issue is; Yes, I will use OpenWrt 21.07 version, the new version caused errors for me. Yes, I want to use Web GUI (example https://192.168.1.1).

examples; i dont want to use ipv6, logd or other unneccessary services.

As far as I'm aware the 4A isn't particularly limited for storage space. Is there a reason you want to try and remove packages?

4 Likes

There is no reason, I just want to use my router with minimum package and minimum memory.

Honestly, it's likely to make next to no (if not none at all) discernable difference to performance or day to day usage. You're much better off just flashing a standard OpenWRT release and not worrying about it.

4 Likes

Well, I tried to imply that to you...

2 Likes

i understood thanks

well thanks, i cancelled this event

procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch

Will removing this packaging damage anything for fiber internet? (ftth wan)

Well, due to removing

• uci, OpenWrt can't read any config files (including network config)
  • procd, no service process will be started and the router will hang during the early boot...
3 Likes

ah thanks. I dont touch those :slight_smile: