A simple question, how to extend the same ssid using ethernet cable

Hi, so i just managed to install openwrt on one of my router and i just want it to be a simple repeater, how could i do that?, Thanks!

Hi there, this might help: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

3 Likes

It could be easily achieved on any router: set manually lan IP, disable dhcp server, and use lan port.

1 Like

Okay, imma try that

do anyone had a simple tutorial for this? the documentation just confuse me out

That is the simple tutorial...

1 Like

Maybe you should explain what's confusing you.

I did a search thru the threads; but most topics asking this question link to the Wiki you're confused about.

Also see:

What im confused with is basicly theres no example or image, and having problem with this section

this is the configuration that i try and after that basicly i cant reach the configuration page again even tho using ethernet cable directly into the router, and it just reverted back

It's pretty straightforward...and TBH, I thought those would the ones that you wouldn't have a probelm with. So, what about steps 4, 5 and 6 do you not understand?

1. Set IP in you LAN subnet
  2. Save/Apply
    5b. Browse to new IP you set
  3. Set gateway IP (I'm not sure why this wasn't included with Step 4)

I also provided you 3 links above with the same steps.

It sounds exactly like you're not following Steps 4, 5 and 6.

• Please confirm you main router IP is 192.168.18.1/24
  • Did you browse to 192.168.18.2 after config?

Yes i already tried it before it reverted, and also can you just give me an image how do i suppose to do the number 4 5 and 6, and im sorry if i really doesnt get anything that you are saying because im very new to openwrt and also networking

Please respond to all inquires - which are needed to solve you issue:

Did you try before it reverted?

(You should also be able to hit Apply Unchecked if you're having difficulty.)

1 Like

:confused: :man_shrugging:

Ummm...the image you showed is exactly how you're supposed to do Steps 4-6...but OK....

screen55

screen56

screen57

In browser:

screen58

I'm not sure what more details about Steps 4-6 to provide. Again, it's quite straightforward.

• Perhaps, you should show us screenshots of your error(s)?
  • Also, be advised that if the IP range wasn't originally 192.168.18.x before the change, you will exprience connection loss and - you'll need to establish an IP on the device you're using to reconnect/edit the OpenWrt :wink:

HI, sorry for the late reply but this is a recording of me trying to change the ip, sorry for the bad quality https://sendvid.com/abf3urg2, and im also going to sleep so see you in the morning, Thanks!

seems you were in the wrong tab at the most critical moment - when the countdown ended.

anyway, use Putty to ssh to the router, and execute.

uci set network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.18.2'
uci commit network
service network restart

change is instant.

1 Like

oh dang it really actually works, thank you!

ok so after doing all the guides on the documentation i should be able to just make a new ssid with the same name as the main router right and it would extend it or what should i do next?

You should have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgs2XFClaM&t=600s I have linked to the 10th minute, where configuration of fast roaming i described, but the whole video describes your setup

Thanks, but there isnt a way to do this without having 2 router that is installed with openwrt right?