A set of questions about work OpenWrt

Welcome
I have several questions I would like to ask please

1- Is the Tp-link AC1900 device acceptable to install OpenWrt?

2- After installing the OpenWrt system and adding it to NordVPN
Suppose that the router basically has a real IP from the service provider ISP, and that inside the router, I mean (OpenWrt), I have attached a NordVPN account
My question is during the communication stage between the real IP and NordVPN, will the communication process (in the records or databases) be recorded with my ISP?

3- If we suppose that I receive internet service through a Ubiquiti device, can I put NordVPN directly in Ubiquiti (OpenWrt system), and I mean instead of doing the same process in the router I do it on the receiver which is Ubiquiti and then pass it to the router without If I make any modifications to the router (leave it on its original system)

I hope to answer the questions
Thank you very much .

That obviously depends on the ISP. That said, it wouldn't matter: yes, the ISP can see that you connect to NordVPN or whatever, but the ISP can not see what is happening inside that connection or anything else.

For #1, check TOH

For #3, I'm not sure I follow the question. I think the answer is yes. Generally you can cascade routers and anyone of them can be configured for VPN. If the default route for a router with VPN goes through the VPN then any downstream (inside) devices will go through the VPN.
I have seen this design work well:
ISP --- Outer Router --- Inner Router (w/ VPN)
Then if you want a direct internet connection, you connect to Outer Router via cable or wifi. If you want to be on VPN you connect to Inner Router via cable or wifi.
You may want to configure your Inner Router, to only work if VPN is active and to make sure your DNS isn't going directly to your ISP because then your ISP would still have an idea of what sites you visit.

This is also the case without using a VPN, since most internet traffic use https nowadays.
They can however see the IPs you're communicating with.

The only readable content is the DNS traffic, but it can be encrypted using DoH or DoT.
It is a lot easier to set up than the VPN, and doesn't have any real impact on your internet speed.

Sure, but OP asked about VPNs and I simply answered that. On a wholly personal level, I do not see the point in using a VPN at home for outgoing connections, unless it's to access some services or resources one wouldn't otherwise have access to.

Agreed, I was just commenting, the answer wasn't really meant for you, but OP.

1 Like

Be aware that some services treat connections from VPN addresses differently. For example, when I'm on VPN and try to do a search I have to solve 3 CAPTCHAS first. Some providers don't allow new account creation from known VPN IP.

big thanks all for helping and answers ..