A rethink of the no-dev policy is required

Not addressing self-hostingness here (though it's not difficult to make it so). I'm addressing limited official support for within-OpenWrt development.

One can strip libraries without using sstrip, which proceeds to lobotomize the library. The difference between the two is pretty small. On platforms where it isn't necessary, it shouldn't be the default.

This isn't the party line. Had a bit of a discussion about a related aspect of this earlier. The party line as I have seen it is that inclusion of development files in and development on OpenWrt is officially not supported.

I admittedly came out swinging (in that thread) harder than was called for, and likely put some people on the defensive. But the policy really does make no sense.

What I am suggesting, though, is: Official support for some development. Support meaning that any "-dev" library package is supported, and will be made to work as intended. Support meaning that easily supplied solutions to common issues, like the musl stubs (all 32 bytes of them), be included with gcc. And a rethink of the cost-benefit of "sstrip" vs "strip --strip-all".