A question about my new wifi usb router Openwrt SC-WE1626

Hallo to everyone...

my question is..
my old configuration was : old acer core solo laptop, connected via usb to an ALFa UBDO-nt8 (RT3070) and via lan to an tplink wifi router..
ok..with this configuration i have 20mb download ....

my NEW conf is...a wifi router Openwrt SC-WE1626 (now I know, it's a 15 bucks router that I paid a blunder on a Spanish site, ... welcome ignorance, but it serves to gain experience)

the problem is...
my download speed has dropped by 1/4 (about 5mb).

I have not modified anything, only disconnected usb of the alpha from pc to connect it to the router siliceo.es

I noticed that while with w7 & pc the alpha connects to 54-80 Mbit, with the router only at 11Mbit max.

the router has the LEDE version Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.061.17832-d092772)

any ideas or suggestions?

best regards
Fabrizio.

Very hard to understand what you've done there.....

A) If there is a new wifi segment 11Mb may result
B) If the cheap router is in the path, it's performance could explain 5Mb loss.... While software updates could be considered.... generally with old / resource stressed routers an architectural fix is more practical, everything else is usually a band-aid.
C) It may help if you also list what services / protocols / stresses the said router is under.... just listing a speed.... is less than half of the picture....

If you post a diagram... it may help others....

hi wulfy...thank you for the reply

i try here to describe my old and new setup

old:

UBDOnt8--------------(usb cable) ----------- PC--------(lan cable) ------WAN PORT ROUTER WIFI ( old but stable TPLINK)   

with this setup i have 20Mbit speed

NEW

UBDOnt -----(usb cable)-------ROUTER WE1626 (with LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-18.061.17832-d092772)

with this setup only 5 Mbit speed download.

that the router have to be ready to use
it was flashed by the seller for the modest sum of 30 euros and is in theory "ready for use". (before I did not know this kind of equipment and the possibility of flashing it myself at home) ..

but i dont understand why i loss 3/4 of speed...

hope i was be more clear ...sorry for my bad english .

best regards and thank you again.

so UBDOnt is your client? no idea what it is....

connected at usb2.0 I presume....?

The new setup has the ROUTER handling USB rather than the PC.... So one would assume if ethernet uplink speeds are comparible... this is where the bottleneck may be....

But you cant compare an apple with a strawberry inside an orange.... aka.... you should change ONE aspect at a time.... and eliminate things methodically.

the UBDO is an external usb using 3070 chipset.
it's used to reach the free internet of my little village.

in my mind...the new router do the job of the PC plus the old router..

...i can't change just one aspect, or ok...i can change the pc with the newest router...but ... i suppose that lone router is more efficent than pc plus router

in the 2nd configuration the router do 2 jobs... the PC job & the tplink router job...

...this is the new router https://tienda.siliceo.es/it/router-wifi-neutro-ap/228-router-openwrt-usb-mtk7620n-4-antenne-ripetitore.html.

1 Like

ok, that is much clearer now, thanks for explaining.....

you need to get terminal ( ssh access to the router to investigate ).....

we need to test some things;

1. usb port power delivery ( you could try a really thick or short cable ... it MAY give a slight improvement and might indicate POWER to be an issue )
  2. lsusb ( command output from both routers if possible ) & lsmod or just see what driver is in use....
  3. architecture interrupt handling ( usb "system weight" ) some lightweight systems may simply "under perform" with USB due to HW or SW priority / pipe size....

If you can use SSH then go ahead and try test that stuff... Otherwise well have to wait for someone who has more info on that RELEASE/HW/DONGLE combination..... I don't. But with WIFI, and especially embedded wifi..... very little performs out of the box.... So, you might try searching for 3070 openwrt.

For me, i'd use the NEW router in place of the USB dongle as a ( community network ) client.... Then use ethernet to the WAN port of the TPLINK..... ( or similar )

NO!!! thank you for help....

now I have to go out, but towards evening I come back and I want to try your directions ...
Ps .. the commands you mention (I recognized a couple for having trafficed a little with kali, I guess they are to be written in the terminal of the router ...

we feel later ... and THANK YOU ....

It's a difficult world, but fortunately there are good souls for help !!