A opkg update killed my ASUS RT-ACRH17?

So with some tinkering I got OpenWRT to finally install on my old ASUS RT-ACRH17. Everything seemed fine, I had it configured, everything was chugging along happily.

It said there was a couple of software updates, so I thought fine, let's do that. Bad idea, apparently, as it attempted to upgrade the luci-mod-network package. I got an error saying "Unable to execute opkg install command: Error: XHR request aborted by browser," and the next thing I know, the router is a complete brick.

Can't restore any OpenWRT using the ASUS utility, the OEM ROMS look like they're restoring and don't; the router just comes up with a rapidly blinking power light (which goes solid), and the router just sits there.

I can't believe OpenWRT is that fragile, what the heck happened? I got to use it for about fifteen minutes.

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

Clearly I didn't come across that page in my reading. D'oh.

Now I need to find out if I can resurrect this thing or I've made it into e-waste.

should work.

(I'd start by just letting the router fully boot up (let it settle for five minutes) and pressing the reset button for ~10s; if you can still connect via ssh (presumably you can) doing that and invokingfirstboot might be even easier).

Yes, you can soft-brick your device by blindly upgrading OpenWrt, but you can't really kill it that way.

4 Likes

Got a solid power LED, and that's it. I can get into recovery mode and ping the device, and the Asus utility will act like it's restoring, but it just goes back to the solid LED, and I can't see the router again.