Just tested this and it worked perfectly. Seems like a complete solution now with fwmark. All sites load, passes nichibanbench and the connection is just as fast as IPv6 (350/350).
Almost complete solution....
There is the issue of fwmarks interfering with other things that use fwmarks like mwan3 or policy based routing.
But as long as those functions are not needed it's good enough I suppose.
In my case I need these functions, so I just run two OpenWRT VMs.
What was affected? Since I am also planning to put VPN on it and do policy routing
The basic thing that causes affects is that everything is fwmarked, and the fwmark that is set by other things like policy based routing get overwritten.
So far example, if you use mwan3, and tell it to route some traffic through another interface, it will all still go through the map-e interface.
I think by using masks, it can be resolved maybe, by editing the map.sh and the firewall.user files correctly, but I haven't looked into it hard enough. Maybe I will dedicate some time to do it.
I just managed to set up Wireguard via IPv4, but the performance is terrible at only 2mbps. Doing the same via IPv6 gives me around 152mbps. CPU usage is low, so not really sure what's causing it.
router as WG client? Did you try OpenVPN?
Understand, I have never done this with OpenWrt before (I use pfSense before and it's not working in this way), this packet marking way is more or less like the RouterOS from Mikrotik, so if we implement solution with mwan3 we have to think about it. Just don't know the precedence of fwmark, if we also use mwan3, will the fwmark by map-e go first (i.e. will be overwritten by mwan3 rules) or the other way?
I suggest to follow up this in my GitHub page and open new issue there to discuss (as this thread here going longer would be difficult to track everything)
I am adjusting the fwmark rules to use masks instead. It's still a hacky solution, but it's likely to work. Will do some tests and ensure mwan and pbr working then post the working files on your github.
EDIT: I have now fixed policy based routing and mwan. Now it is a complete solution. I will post everything at your github in the discussion as well.
I have opened this to track.
I have posted the new files there. The new files provide a complete solution.
It is probably the MTU. Try 1280 for the MTU, then go up from there. Also set the MTU of your map-e connection to 1452 in OpenWRT. I have a wireguard VPN and get 300mbps+ via ipv4, but it doesn't work well if the MTU is too high.
upnp can also work, but the usable ports need to be specified for that as well. Not sure if it is within the scope of your tutorial, but let me know if you want more details on getting upnp to work.
I am not going to use UPnP (and in terms of security this is also not preferred way) so I can live without it, but from technical point of view we can try to see if we can find a workaround, feel free to open a new issue/discussion there
Oh man, this is amazing, I was about to do the same job, already looking at all the Japanese websites talking about MAP-E and IPoE.
Thanks so much!
I just got a 10G connection with Hikari Cross and the NTT east router XG-100NE doesn't even support static routing... but there is a hidden link "192.168.0.1/t" to open and redirect ports.
I will try and come back here to tell you any success story.
This link can be helpful too: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/map
Also, for important links, do not hesitate to use https://archive.org, to save pages and to retrieve unavailable screenshots.
Thanks, please try and report if any problem in my GitHub page, some forum members already helped and we figured out original MAP package script needs changes to have better results (see discussion/issue page in my GitHub).
Arcive.org I've used it but some 5ch forum things (especially those images) can't be found, but anyway those were targeting OpenWrt older version which doesn't use nftables, we still need something new.
I have followed your guide on github and it works great, however I still have a small issue regarding the connection.... massive ping spikes are still common up to 3000ms also the ping appears to be much much higher im not sure if its a japan issue or an asia issue due to the... internet ipv4 situation (10-20ms w/pppoe to 30-40ms the speed compared to just pppoe is about double when using map-e but ping appears more unstable and higher)
It's hard to tell whether this is ISP issue or router issue, my wife plays online game which is very sensitive to high ping never complains about it after changing to OpenWrt
Thanks again For the guide it was very easy to configure you saved me a lot
I would like to believe it to be a router issue, but given the amount of times I've had it replaced and used several different devices with the same results, the ping spikes exist (though the map-e did increase my latency about 10-20ms) so I guess its just isp issue then I know i might've screwed something up along the way, but I'd rather blame the isp.
I have upgraded my ISP line to 10G after moving to a new home, with latest 23.05.0 release and followed the same guide on Netgear WAX206, everything continues working!
The guide has also incorporated all required map.sh changes + suggestion on SLAAC setting for clients that strictly requiring SLAAC (e.g. ChromeOS/Android).
This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.