A bit confused with current ISP setup

Hello everyone. I have a "decent" DIR-878 router, that supports well the OpenWrt firmware from what I've read, but I encounter some issues in getting it connected directly to the WAN interface of my ISP provider which is the Bulgarian A1. They use some Ralink SoC router with some particular configurations including static WAN IP, and I am unsure how to port them in OpenWrt. It is using a small routing table as well as some specific VLAN settings:

vlan

For the static config, I simply configured the WAN port on the 878 with the shown info in the router. It is able to send packets back and forth on the WAN port but when running internal diagnostics I cannot perform even a ping to 8.8.8.8 server. Now I didn't configure the VLAN ports since I assumed they are set up by my ISP to distinguish between data traffic and TV data, a service I do not have anyway registered. But perhaps it is still required at hardware level to distinguish in-between, and if that is true I am unsure how to translate the config into OpenWrt.

Any help/clarification would be appreciated.

For a start, connect a PC/laptop in place of the A1 router, using the same static IP settings, that you already have.
A1 states, that if you pay for a static IP address, you should be able to use any device you want.
As I see, "Tagged WAN" is disabled, so you shouldn't need any VLAN settings.
There is a possibility that they bind the IP address to the last known device MAC address, so if it doesn't work, try to clone the router wan port MAC address to the PC lan card.

If the test succeeds, you will have to post the the OpenWrt network settings, redacting the private parts.

3 Likes

Just remember, using a static IP requires you to manually add the DNS servers.

2 Likes

Yeah, I completely forgot about the MAC spoofing, seems that was the trick. Thanks a lot, good sir.

1 Like

It is not necessary. You don't have to create a special broadcast address (255.255.255.255/32) on the br-lan interface.

Usually, the flags are dynamically created and they show the state of the route. I am a bit confused by the listed flags, because normally they should be represented by letters. Probably (I am speculating here) this is some kind of vendor specific numeric expression of the flags. 1 should mean U, 3 - UG, 5 - UH.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.