802.11s on DAP-2695

Finally I upgraded both my Dlink DAP-2695's to version 19.07.4 (from 18.06) and as it meant moving to another target I did some reading up first. After one small hick up both access-points now work as they should.

But reading up I came across articles about 802.11s and it appears my DAP-2695 is able to support that (although none of the D-Link documentation mentions it in the hardware specifications):

root@dap-beneden:~# iw list | grep "Supported interface modes" -A 9
        Supported interface modes:
                 * IBSS
                 * managed
                 * AP
                 * AP/VLAN
                 * monitor
                 * mesh point
                 * P2P-client
                 * P2P-GO
                 * outside context of a BSS
--
        Supported interface modes:
                 * IBSS
                 * managed
                 * AP
                 * monitor
                 * mesh point
                 * P2P-client
                 * P2P-GO
                 * P2P-device

So does this indeed mean that I can create a mesh 802.11s network with these 2 access-points using openwrt?

I now have a working Mesh for the 2.4Ghz network (including authentication). All configured using luci, works like a charm. Pretty happy with that.

I can't however get the 5Ghz to work and I read here on the forum that this might be ath10k driver related on a QCA9880.
So now I would like to make that work but sofar I have only been using the standard released image (openwrt-19.07.4-ar71xx-generic-dap-2695-a1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin).
So I do not really understand how to: " try the "plain" ath10k driver and firmware." as mentioned.

• Does it mean I need to compile my own image?
  • Or can I use different modules already available in the default image?
    This is loaded now:
lsmod | grep ath
ath                    18240  4 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath9k_hw,ath10k_core
ath10k_core           381040  1 ath10k_pci
ath10k_pci             30544  0 
ath9k                  95664  0 
ath9k_common           11232  1 ath9k
ath9k_hw              343488  2 ath9k,ath9k_common
cfg80211              221904  5 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath10k_core,ath,mac80211
compat                  5888  4 ath9k,ath9k_common,mac80211,cfg80211
mac80211              443840  2 ath9k,ath10k_core

I am a noob when it comes to openwrt but not when it comes to linux or compiling a custom kernel (although it was 10000 years ago that I did that :wink: )

Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

Hiya, yes it is the firmware driver that it is at issue. If you use the none Candela one it works like a charm. I have built the firmware if you want a copy otherwise I can send you the instructions on how to build the correct image using imagebuilder which is likely better as then you can tweak subsequent openwrt releases..

It might have been ages ago , but I am still interested. So if you have pointers for building the firmware: that would be great :slight_smile:

Sure, in short the the CT firmware doe not support RAW mode but the old drivers do. I used the following packages in imagebuilder to have a image that supports 802.11S
PACKAGES=-ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct -kmod-ath10k-ct kmod-ath10k ath10k-firmware-qca988x kmod-batman-adv batctl-full -wpad-basic wpad-mesh-openssl luci nano

Note the above removes the CT packages as it is prefixed by a -. Then it adds the generic firmware.

Let me know if you need more or if you need the firmware itself.

Cheer
A

1 Like