802.11s Mesh support?

802.11r fast transition.

So I have main router offer WDS AP for guest Wi-Fi on 2.4 and offer separate WDS AP for main Wi-Fi on 5. This trick seemed to avoid a great deal of extra complication associated with offering out Wi-Fi for these isolated networks.

Namely the latter trick avoids this nightmare:

The extra RT3200's connect to the main router as WDS clients for both guest Wi-Fi on 2.4 and also the main Wi-Fi on 5 and then also offer out AP's for guest Wi-Fi and main Wi-Fi.

I believe for all of this to work the 2.4 and 5 radios on all 3x RT3200's have to be on same channel. I may be mistaken and if so I'd love to know in case I can improve my setup.

Note that 802.11r makes your WPA2 PSK network easier to hack [1] because of PMK caching.

[1] https://techbeacon.com/security/wpa2-hack-allows-wi-fi-password-crack-much-faster

1 Like

which means Only SAE is the option in roaming?

Yikes. So what should we switch to if we want to keep the benefits of 802.11r roaming but avoid the security issue? The options I am offered via OpenErt are a bit mind boggling:

Can someone please recommend an option?

WPA3 and WPA2-EAP are both fine. I assume mesh as well. Only WPA2-EAP will give you wide compatibility though at the cost of harder to configure. I personally decided to live without fast transition as it is not really a big concern for my network.

Does anyone know the full wpad contains SAE for encrypted mesh?

wpad - 2020-06-08-5a8b3662-40 - This package contains a full featured IEEE 802.1x/WPA/EAP/RADIUS Authenticator and Supplicant

It is not obvious from description.

No. You need wpad-mesh-wolfssl as a minimum or wpad-wolfssl.

1 Like