802.11r with one subnet on multiple (three) APs plus a wireless bridge

How can I have the same subnet on all APs when they're in a daisy chain configuration and have 802.11r (fast roaming enabled)?

(<--> is wired <==> is wireless connections)

My setup is as follows:

Cable Modem <--> AP1 with 802.11r <--> wireless bridge device 1 <==> wireless bridge device 2 <--> AP2 with 802.11r <==> AP3 with 802.11r.

Not sure if relevant but most of the time I'm transitioning between AP2 and AP3 but sometimes between AP1 and AP3.

I'm using two Archer A7 AP1 and AP3 and one Cudy WR1300 AP2, latest OpenWrt.

Basically I want everything on the same subnet so I can access all devices regardless of which AP I’m connecting to.

I think I need to have DHCP on only the initial AP1 and then disable on AP2 & AP3, but I’m hesitant to experiment without knowing what I’m doing.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Edit: I’ve found these instructions on “Dumb APs” but it is for APs that are wired together. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

It matters exactly how these devices are connected. Can you describe the way each link works? Are these proprietary wireless bridge devices, or regular AP/client or WDS or mesh or what?

The wireless bridge from AP1 to AP2 is done with two Engenius ENH500 (one wired to AP1 the other wired into AP2). Both AP2 and AP3 are broadcasting on 2.4 and 5 ghz with the same SSID.

AP3 is connected to AP2 using the 2.4ghz WIFI channel.

If it’s not possible to have AP1 on the same subnet at AP2 and AP3 that’s fine. Seems like it should be possible to at least have AP2 and AP3 on the same subnet though, that is the main priority. Having AP1 on the same subnet would be a bonus but not entirely necessary.

Oh also in case it matters AP1 uses 192.168.0.1, AP2 is at 192.168.2.1, and AP3 is at 192.168.1.1. Additionally 802.11r is enabled and seems to be working well on AP2 and AP3.

First of all, I suspect that engenius pair acts like a virtual wire. So those AP1 and AP2 should be on the same subnet no problem. However AP3 connecting to AP2 requires either mesh backhaul or WDS in order to be in the same subnet.

I’ve tried setting up WDS before with limited success using this https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds.

Maybe I’ll give it another go when I’m willing to have it possibly break. AP part is simple but STA side is a pain to get right.

When I do a traceroute from the router at the end of the network (192.168.1.1 to the beginning the engenius pair doesn’t show up so I think you’re right about it being like a virtual wire).

However I’m still not sure what settings I’d need on AP2 and AP3. I assume that they would both be configured as STA and DHCP would be disabled.

Any help with the specifics however would be appreciated.

I think you set up AP2 as a WDS AP and then set up AP3 as both a WDS client and a regular access point, and bridge those together.

Okay just so I have the concept correct for AP3. When you say bridge those together would that be bridging interfaces?

Yes create a bridge that includes both interfaces