802.11r/k DAWN /etc/config/dawn

Conceptually each SSID on each band (aka radio) on each AP is a different place for a device to connect to, and the different BSSID for each of them is what signifies that. From the device point of view roaming within a SSID from one band to another on a single AP is no different than roaming to the same band on a different AP. IIRC the LUCI config lets you set the info to ensure that FT can work across whichever set you want it to - across multiple bands or APs.

So DAWN will score the different bands / radios on a single AP, and may suggest moving between them. Or it may suggest moving to the same / diffeent band on a different AP. Whatever the transition 802.11r will make it smoother.

EDIT: Bonus random knowledge (or mistaken belief...). You may notice that the 5Ghz band on an AP has MAC "one higher" than the 2.4GHz. That isn't a hard coded value against the "physical radio". To allow for multiple SSIDs, bands , etc the 802.11 MAC management lets the AP assign the "base" MAC to the first BSSID it offers, then up to 15 more. So if you add an extra SSID to the 2.4GHz band the "first" 5GHz BSSID might change. Since most of us run a single SSID on each radio (possibly the same SSID) we don't really see this in operation, but it means it can be a bad idea to hardcode BSSID in scripts, etc.

1 Like

I already backported everything. Please uses 21.02-SNAPSHOT (that can be seen as stable) https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02-SNAPSHOT/targets/ for recent DAWN updates.

1 Like

Yes, but I currently lack on time doing any further changes. :frowning: And we have currently so urgent stuff to do with IPv6 and WireGuard, in my community mesh and stress at my normal paid work (I don't get paid for DAWN or other OpenWrt stuff) and university...
I am very thankful what @IanC is currently doing. Also @cotequeiroz did a great job. Further, also I always benefit from the changes of @blocktrron. Thanks to all contributors! I hope I can still support you enough to contribute to DAWN. If anything urgent, please mention me or directly write me an email or contact me in matrix/irc.

1 Like

I've lost track of whether people are referring to the latest changes available on my fork, but not PRed yet. One I have the updated docs in there possibly plus a couple of "hygiene" fixes I'll do the PR. If others can confirm it is stable hopefully it will also be backported.

3 Likes

I think people maybe confused that "backporting to 21.02" means, that all changes are just in OpenWrt-21.02-Snapshot and not in 21.02.1. They will appear in 21.02.2 (actually that should be branched soon).

1 Like

I'll aim to ge tthe new PR over in time to hit that. It would reduce a lot of confusion I think and be a good base line (better docs, looking stable, etc) for moving forwards with.

3 Likes

If someone is interested, we could probably register a DAWN project with radio resource management in GSOC.

1 Like

=Google Summer of Code

I don't know the details of that works, but would be happy to help frame the backlog, OKR, etc.

2 Likes

We just need to do a PR here:

And then we need someone who is willing to do the project. :slight_smile:

Does anywhere define what...

..means?

In the last years you had to be some student. However, that regulations changed and now everyone can participate (up to my knowledge). If you want, we can probably do it? :slight_smile: I will ask the responsible persons again.

@ZebraOnPC: I pushed my proposed documentation updates. I'd welcome your review. Please tag anyone else you're aware on who might want to read and comment.

See https://github.com/Ian-Clowes/DAWN

3 Likes

That is great , I am gonna read it and test it. :+1:

O man a good setup guide for DAWN would be grate. I tested it out a long time ago and removed it after about 10 mins because I did not even know That you had to install it on both your mane router and your APs. Then I tryed it out installing it on mane router and my AP, but I did not understand what it was trying to tell me. I know it says what ssids radios and what devices are on what bands. Then it would give ratings like 97% but with know concept of what that meens. 97% of what? Thanks to all of you for trying to make things better. Thanks to @PolynomialDivision

1 Like

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/802-11r-k-dawn-etc-config-dawn/118918/32?u=zebraonpc
I am reading it now , it is a big manual

https://github.com/Ian-Clowes/DAWN/blob/master/CONFIGURE.md

There is 2 section in config
for 802.11g and 802.11a
But i dont have5Ghz band so do i delite both of them or i just delete 802_11a section
and if i left 802.11g only what parametrs would be the best ?

config metric 802_11a
    option rssi_weight          '2'
    option rssi_center          '-50'
    option initial_score        '100'

config metric 802_11g
    option rssi_weight          '2'
    option rssi_center          '-50'
    option initial_score        '100'

Also in the manual it says to install wpad-openssl but I have just wpad , is it ok to use wpad instead wpad-openssl as I understand wpad-openssl is for WPA3 auntification

It should be fine wiht only the 802_11g section present. You should also have the following to disable the "stepped" RSSI scoring.

config metric 802_11g
    option rssi          '0'
    option low_rssi          '0'

That's not an area I'm strong on. Given that you have the right ubus method showing for hostapd and kicking seemed to be working you seem to be OK though.

1 Like

Thanks, that's a great point that I wouldn't have included. Will now add :slight_smile:.

1 Like

But what about other options weight center score , do I keep them by default ?

The values you had were fine. I was showing additions.

1 Like