802.11r (Fast-Roaming) in LUCI

WDS is, I believe Wireless Distribution System. That is one of many ways to connect multiple APs to the same network. Anything from a physical Ethernet cable through complex meshing or networking approaches work. WDS is just one of the easier approaches for those that don't want to pull cable and don't have more sophisticated needs (like VLANs).

Roaming is "easier" if the clients stay on the same logical network as they don't need to get a new IP address and route from DHCP.

1 Like

But how is the roaming in an open wifi network working? Is the client switches to the ā€šbetterā€™ access point or do the access points talk to each other and going to kick the client, so itā€˜s getting connected to the ā€šbetterā€˜ ap?

Roaming ALWAYS is up to the client. The fancier proprietary forced roaming systems rely on deauth followed by APs telling each other not to talk to the client, except for the one they want to force the client onto... Afaik

Thatā€˜s what i meant.. I thought 802.11r is doing a deauth to the client, so that the other ap will get the traffic...
Is the roaming working good on open wifi networks? Anybody has experience with it?

As @dlakelan points out, how and when roaming happens is up to the client.

802.11r provides a framework that the client can choose to use, if it is capable, to speed the authentication to a new AP that is "related to" the original AP. This can cut the re-authentication time from around 1.5 seconds down to a fraction of a second.

1 Like

802.11r is just a way to let device make new encryption before breaking the old one.

Are u sure that only adding 802.11r works?
What encryption?

Did u look at the hostapd debug output? There should be something like "... FT ..." when station uses 802.11r.

It appears to me on Linux that I use "+FT" when I enable 802.11r.

Did you looked at the hostapd debug messages when a client roams to another AP?

No the truth. I would have to try again, but I do not understand those lines.

hi Jeff
here is the config on my OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8874-8f4841462c router.I add option ieee80211r '1' as your mention. is it correct? if yes,do same on my another openwrt router ? should I add extra stuf?
thanks

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/qca955x_wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option disabled '0'
        option country 'US'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'xxxx'
        option key 'xxxxxx'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option ieee80211r '1'

I tried to configure 802.11r on my routers, which I use as APs. The difficulty is, that I also activated 802.11w with a freeradius server on a raspberry. Radius authentification works without problems. But when I also activate fast roaming the wifi is switched of and I can't see it on my wifi analyzer tool. Do I switch off it is running again. It seems to be related to the option 'nasid'. The thing is, I have no idea how to configure in the right way and I found no hint searching the net. Can somebody give me advice?

Thanks in advanced.
Sindbad

Are you using hostapd instead of hostapd-mini that is installed by default? The mini version does not support 802.11r.

I installed wpad instead of wpad-mini, which was installed by standard. Because this version is also needed for support of 802.11w, which works fine here.

Makes hostapd any different to wpad?

I meant wpad, my apologies. So it seems like you did that correctly. Is there anything in the logs when the WiFi doesn't come up?

I didn't look in the log-files and to say true I also don't know where I can find the files. I have to search in the wiki.

For a default configuration, logread will show you the log

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.