802.11k & 802.11V OpenWrt 19.07.7?

hi,

i need some clarification about 802.11k & 802.11V.
it's supported on OpenWrt 19.07.7 ?
for Xiaomi Mi WiFi R3G
WLAN Hardware: MediaTek MT7603EN, MediaTek MT7612EN
& for mikrotik HAP AC RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT
WLAN Hardware: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558, Atheros AR9880

Do we still need to run the script mentioned here How does rrm work? - #60 by ParanoidZoid ?

See Trying to activate 802.11k and 802.11v with 19.07.6.

1 Like

Following the post we need to use snapshot until openwrt 20.0.
And use a steering script.
@Stefan1 when he say snapshot on this post Trying to activate 802.11k and 802.11v with 19.07.6 - #9 by Xtreme512 he talk about master branch ?
@Xtreme512 could you share your steering script?

only when i make it automated for all APs.

It's only working with the master branch?
I have found the xiaomi mi 3g v1 on the master branch, but sadly the mikrotik hap seems to be only available in 19.07.7 branch.

Likely, the RB951Ui-2nD hasn't been migrated to ath79 as of yet.

1 Like

yes it requires master branch.

why would anyone want to flash openwrt to a mikrotik device? routeros is much better, ive been using it for years as my main router, and openwrt (C7v5) only for my wifi AP.

Router os do not support 802.11r.
Many user ask for years.
Conclusion:
802.11k&v only supported in master branch
Ath79 only supported in 19.07.7

So no choice I have to stay on 19.07.7 for this app and use only 802.11r on both.

I guess that is very subjective. I would never ever use any such kind of proprietary garbage.

1 Like

Before to install openwrt I have check the web ui.
There are many thing that other brand do not include, I think mikrotik propose professionnel feature at residential price (mpls, bold, radius, captive portal ect...) The cli is pretty good.

yes its proprietary comes with advantages and disadvantages (few), and feature-wise its very broad, usability is very good if you know how to use it. i agree its subjective by what you want to accomplish with it, but purchasing mikrotik device for openwrt is silly. coming from me who used both and also hate ubiquity's fancy limited software, i would never change routeros to even pfsense.

garbage? others maybe but routeros absolutely no.

1 Like

you are right it didn't even support wave2 up until now with v7 beta. it doesn't support 802.11k/v/r too (and cake qos although current pcq qos works great and im doing it dynamically with my script even better), but it will soon support in v7 both cake and other wifi features and when it does it will be rock-solid single click, not like writing many line scripts to achieve it as i did for openwrt.

edit: also try using winbox, you'll love it. there's "dude" as well for large deployment.

1 Like

Do window have more features than the web interface?
If not I don't understand why both are available.
If v7 come with 802.11 kvr I will give a try.

winbox and http interface both have the same things, winbox is just more detailed, neat and tidy gui... fun to work on definitely.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.