802.11ax wifi AP mPCI-E cards

Did anyone figure out if the Pineapple 2, 5, and 6 were usable?

I'm looking for an ax 5 and/or 6 Ghz 4x4 card, ideally m.2 E key to put in a bananapi r3 to get a dual radio mesh going.

I have this card now. On the plus side, it comes up in DBDC mode automatically (doesn't have to be turned on manually like AsiaRF's 7615 card). And DBDC seems rock solid in OpenWrt. On the minus side, I can't figure out how to turn DBDC mode off again. I can only get 20dBm of power output from it. This is the same as the 7615 in DBDC mode, but on the 7615 I can turn DBDC off and get 24dBm out of it.

I also have AsiaRF's non-DBDC 4T4R 7915 card. I'm getting 27dBm out of that one, and it is an exceptionally quiet card.

1 Like

Dear Kurt,

Many thanks for you recommends and we will keep working to provide the best performance to you all.

Paul

~WRD2935.jpg

Too bad that for the last of VA1DER that the price of the post office is so high I will therefore wait a little

What is the benefit of DBDC? i see latter7615 or 7915 non-DBDC one is faster then 7915? What is the practical benefits?

Thnx

DBDC cuts a full 4x4 card in half, virtually making two 2x2 cards out of it, to save PCIe slots (only one needed) and money (only need to buy one card).

In terms of performance and functionality, two dedicated non-DBDC cards are obviously better and offer you the full 4x4 the chipset is capable of.

1 Like

ok, thnx,
for this card,

regarding ac and ax standard speed on 2 antenas.. it is typo or?

yeah, it is one card for price of two:-)
so only multiple buyers to divide transport fee should be look for.. imho

I just bought the exact same card (MT7921K) but I'm only getting 20-30Mbps. Do you know what the issue might be? I'm running 22.03 in Proxmox 7. I tried with my MacBook Air as well as a Windows machine with AX200. It seems the bit rate is stuck at 54Mbps max and Windows is reporting it's using 802.11a instead of ac or ax that I set it to.

EDIT:
I found the problem. Apparently I disabled WMM mode without reading the text below that clearly warns about possible limitations.

Hello,

Does anyone know if OpenWRT supports this M.2 Wifi 6 wireless card ?

On the product page it says that it supports Linux. I see the chipset it is Qualcomm Atheros WCN6856 so I assume the driver is ath11k.

On the Linux ath11k driver page https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath11k#supported_devices I see that only WCN6855 is listed as supported but not WCN6856.

Kind regards,

Similar question: I have a Turris Omnia, which has mPCIe slots. I'm thinking to replace the 2.4GHz card with a Wifi 6e card. Any suggestions? Apparently the AW7915-NPD works but I can't find it from any seller I'd trust in the US (e.g., Amazon or similar top-tier site with a reasonable return policy). Unfortunately most cards on Amazon don't reveal their true chip set, so it's a long slog through reviewer comments looking for someone who runs Linux.

Read the reviews, it's usually posted, although there's no guarantee you'll be getting the same hw as the other buyer(s).

I guess it is compatible with WCN6855 but without a PCI ID its hard to tell.

I just spent 30 minutes on Amazon. It seems 99% of cards use an Intel chipset requiring iwlwifi drivers which aren't in the kernel until 5.10. I'm still running a 5.4 kernel due to being on 22.03 due to unrelated issues that boil down to nftables/firewall4 don't work with 3 packages I use.

Intel is a no go for AP anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip lest I'm tempted to try it. So there is this AsiaRF card that seems like it would work, but it's not 6 GHz.

Hi.

I just installed cheap MT79231K WiFi6E card in my x86 box and it works fine in AP mode in 802.11ax mode (with MT7921E) driver. It probably works in 6GHz band as well but I have no device to test it with.
I tested it with iperf3 client on 80MHz channel with iPhone 13 to iperf3 server running on router itself. I was able to hit 800Mbit/sec. I believe I paid 12 buck for the card and couple bucks more for M.2 to mini PCI-E

Found this card with MT7922

1 Like

I have checked now and the PCI ID for this WNFQ-269AX(BT) - WiFi 6/6E M.2 E wireless card is shown below:

I tried several Linux distro but I did not manage to load the firmware for this card although the ath11k_pci driver seems to be loaded.

Well, it is using the WCN6855 PCI ID.
What do you mean by you did not manage to load the FW?