802.11ax Routers

Yes, it runs even fine at my 1Gbit/s FTTH connection.

I got an RT3200 for $67 in January and am loving it so far, using it in a multilevel home on my 1Gbps down + 40Mbps up internet, with various smart devices around the house (lights, speakers, thermostat), and a couple of ethernet & wireless clients. Of course the further away from the router the slower the 5Ghz network, but it's still quick and usable anywhere in the house thanks to beamforming and other neat stuff.

This is the list of preferred AX taken from the community:

1. Netgear WAX202 and WAX206
  2. KuWFI T-MB5EU
  3. Belkin RT3200 / Linksys E8450

This 5 are SO popular that currently in EU is 100% impossible to find any of them, at least somewhat budget (to the prices they used to be like 1 year ago). Still everyone keep talking about them regularly.

Probably the new "Belkin RT3200" is going to be, from my point of view, the Xiaomi AX3600. I've been reading the threads and it feels that is by far the new most commented AX alternative. So now it can be found around $80-100 easily, so I will be purchasing one "just in case" out of pure FOMO. It will probably be around $150 or completely impossible to be found for 2024

Also I find DL-WRX36 as already stated totally nuts, because is the equivalent to Xiaomi AX9000 but less than half the price (but not available in EU either)

I was wondering: All those routers like Belkin RT3200 that don't have any external antennas, despite of being really powerful internally, do they perform right signal-wise? I'm not 100% confident that a Belkin RT3200 will give a better signal despite of having a MT7622BV chipset compared to for example, an ASUS RT-AX53U like I've pointed out in a previous post, with a MT7905 which performs way worse than RT3200 BUT, it has external antennas!

I was reading this, and obviously, everyone recommending there Belkin RT3200 at $60-$70 which basically is where ASUS RT-AX53U was back then and is right now.

So basically all I can understand right now is that, due to the shortage of "quality cheap AX" routers in EU, there isn't a great candidate to choose from. Both Dynalink and Xiaomi are "definitely" future candidates, but noone would put the hand in the fire for them because they are still not 100% supported at least as Belkin 3200 or the 5 I mentioned in the top.

And other alternatives like ASUS RT-AX53U, are also still not 100% supported, lacking from things like 160Mhz HT

If you want external antennas, have a look at the Reyee E5 / Ruijie RG-EW3200, same device different openwrt image.

As for availability, I actually have two 206s and one Ruijie RG-E5 sitting on a shelf :slight_smile:

Another element only available in US, like Dynalink.

As I said, the only current purchase that is among the top options is AX3600 for EU, the rest are amazing but simply not available. And still I find AX3600 a really risky router with a ton of things to remain unsupported, and maybe never go fully supported in a main version release. But still a top bet for the price. I'm purchasing one unit this week 100% sure. Maybe it will end in the shelf like your 206s :joy:

Was mainly a comment to the lack of external antennas, not availability.

I bought two WRX36es in DE, they're also sold in UK, on Amazon, in both cases.

Can you point me the link please?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B098WC99VC back in stock on March 8th, Amazon says.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098DDTM7Y currently OOS.

2 Likes

Thanks, I've put them on tracking now :wink:
Definitely Dynalink is nuts with 2.5GbE port, 100% crazy

1 Like

WAX206 got one too.

Problem with WAX206 is that it cost 2x since Aug'22

Since the hardware doesn't support 160MHz, claiming that "it's still not 100% supported" is kind of misleading. Since we can't support something that the hardware can't, pretty logical.

2 Likes

it's even cheaper in SE and PL, than in DE, that's very unusual

I thought it was a temporary driver limitation not a hardware limitation. Now I'm reading the specs and it's missing this

Support 20/40M bandwidth in 2.4G band and 20/40/80M bandwidth in 5G band

Definitely a bad choice then. Removed from my list. The only good thing is that is compatible with AiMesh in case I would like to move it at some point to my AiMesh network.

160MHz is sketchy to use anyway, it was a good choice for me :slight_smile:
It can also be found under the name RT-AX1800U, probably cheaper.
Other variant with higher gain antennas(?) and all 4 LAN ports is the RT-AX54HP and its alternate names. Same hardware otherwise.
AsusWrt is pretty unstable on ramips targets, didn't test it that much.

Just ordered a Belkin RT3200 on-line from Walmart in U.S. for $55, with free shipping.

After testing an RT3200 at distance against a WRX36, I couldn't pass up an RT3200 at that price for dumb AP only use.

2 Likes

Looks like the DL-WRX36 is available in the UK for £77

The RT3200 is £45-55 approximately

My new downstream is 1.1-1.2 Gbit/s

I guess the WRX is a better choice with the 2.5g WAN port ?

Also my AX3600 will probably be swapped for its dumb AP,

WiFi speeds do others get on ipq807X devices when in "dumb AP" mode ?

Not for me :sweat_smile:
https://i.imgur.com/yUh7IOw.png

The only big problem I've been commenting on this routers, is that, as Dumb AP similarly to RT3200 I doubt they will offer a huge signal quality without an external antenna. They must be subpar with an alternative like the Xiaomi AX3600 I commented above, despite of being better supported by OpenWRT and in case of WRX, have better features like better SoC and 2.5GbE WAN port. But still I don't feel that the 2.5GbE WAN port is worthy. I prefer to have a bandwidth of 600Mb/s stable in multiple points, including the room next door (with a brick wall int he middle) than a bandwidth of theorically 1Gb+/s just 30 cm away from the router, when talking about Dumb AP obviously.

Although, check @eginnc to see that the 2.5GbE port is 100% worthless. Going over 1Gb/s is completely utopia.

1 Like

The Amazon OOS might be because of your default shipping address.

1 Like

I have a AX3600 that unfortunately had it's antenna..... Removed unexpectedly .... during a house move, I ended up re soldering it back on but the mounts are broken

I ordered the dynalink from Amazon as I know the ipq radios are pretty solid regardless.

I know this new Virgin Media Gig1 line is advertised at 1,130Mbps as and I have seen it spike beyond that at times to 1,300Mpbs. So maybe the 2.5Gbps port is worth the extra £25