802.11ax Routers

should this device of tplink use the mediatek for 802.11ax?

IPQ6000 - https://fccid.io/2AXJ4EAP610OD/Test-Report/12-FCC-Test-Report-WLAN-5G-Band-1-4-R00-part1-5408566

What is the status of ath11k? I'm considering buying a Xiaomi AX3600 or AX6000.

Depends on if you want support now, or in the future.
There are threads about both devices in the development forum.

1 Like

Atm I'm running 3 devices, 1x D-Link DIR-882 as main router and 2x D-Link DIR-878 as dumb AP (they are the same device, only difference is no USB ports on DIR-878); I'm using vlans, dns proxy, 802.11r, no issues at all, perfectly stable.

But I do want to upgrade to a stronger platform with 802.11ax support. As mt7621 can barely keep up with my gpon fiber (600mbps downlink / 300mbps uplink).

Xiaomi AX3200 (MT7622) seems to be weaker than AX3600, but have a better support now than IPQ807x.

Based on this I'm more inclined to go for the MT7622 platform, as I've seen in the past a lot of promissing devices that even with "stable" openwrt releases were plagued by issues/bugs.

Note: I can't really buy the RT3200/EA8450 as they are not officially available in my country and I need wall mount suppport.

At those speed you should really go with So you have 500Mbps-1Gbps fiber and need a router READ THIS FIRST

1 Like

That topic is from 12 months ago. In 1 year, no progress were made?

I don't need SQM to be honest, my connection is very good, low bufferbloat even under heavy load.

1 Like

In terms of what?
Openwrt devices capable of routing 1gbit, RPi, x86, etc excluded?
Not really.

Probably the cheapest solution anyway (depending on where you live).

I would still need to buy 802.11ax APs :confused:

1 Like

Depends on if it's the routing that's struggling, or the wifi.
Plus if you need full internet speed via wifi
And if your clients are AX capable

For WIFI AX still no news in version 21.02.2
use always snapshots

1 Like

I believe x86 or rpi is overkill for my needs. I feel like any platform better than mt7621 with flow offload would satisfy my needs.

I have a total of 7 Wi-FI AX capable clients, currently using Wi-Fi AC. My current setup can provide arround 500Mbps via wifi (that's enough, considering I have 600Mbps downlink).

Things only get messy when two or more clients start to dispute for bandwidth, with 4x4 stream on router and 2x2 stream on client, I still see noticeable bandwidth drop in iperf local test.

Guess people are different, I'd never make a hw investment for a 20% speed increase.

But then again, most of my bw hungry devices are wired.

1 Like

When I'm using 1 device, sure that would be a 20% increase and I agree with you, not worth the investment.

My main issue is when 2 or 3 devices are being used in the same AP and instead of the AP manage and provide 4 streams, seems like all of them are using the same 2 streams.

Add a second AP.

So, what are you doing with 500 Mbit bandwidth at home, that is so important that 2-3 seconds makes a difference yet 100 USD does not?

1 Like

I didn't get your answer, I'm just looking for Wi-Fi 6 options that supports OpenWrt.

Nothing high end is supported yet. They trolled us by accidentally puting RAXE500 on the new changelog then removed it :smiley:

It's probably 1.5 years away before we see Ath11k mature and supported in an OpenWrt 23.x release running Linux kernel 5.15.

What you could do to beat that right now is run a $250 three device setup which is faster anyway:

1. NanoPi R4S, ($100) install OpenWrt (master snapshot, use for routing, nftables firewall, enough CPU speed for gigabit SQM, irqbalance, adblock, samba, usb3, etc.)
  2. 5-port gigabit switch with a couple PoE ports ($40)
  3. WiFi 6 access point like the U6-Lite ($100)
1 Like

Thank you, NanoPi R4S do looks like an interesting device. I might buy one.

Regarding the acess points I'll stay with WiFi 5 for some time more, until I see more devices supported by OpenWRT, the Xiaomi AX3200 would be interesting and seems to be on verge of receiving snapshot support.

Ubiquiti products are really expensive in my country, a Ubiquiti 6 Lite costs more than 2 times the price of a Xiaomi AX3200, and I use 3 access points at my house (really big house).

Easy solution: sell house, buy more wifi :grinning:

I've got a similar setup, an R4S as main router, feeding into an old Archer C7v2 with wifi disabled functioning as a managed switch (for vlans), feeding into a Totolink X5000R on the other side of the house. The Totolink still has some issues in LUCI but functions well, and you can get them cheap from Ali.