802.11ax Routers

Bad reviews on Amazon but they doesn't mean a whole lot though. For $70 I'm sure it's under-powered.

1 Like

OpenWrt officially supports various WiFi 6 wireless routers and access points:

The truth, if you just want to improve your WiFi, the most recommended is to buy an enterprise-grade WiFi 6 access point from any company I mentioned above (Ubiquiti, TP-Link and Aruba Instant On) and save yourself the headaches.

2 Likes

Dedicated enterprise grade APs are nice but I don't want to drill holes in my gypsum ceiling :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I'm curious what happened to the IPQ8074. Since current qualcomm routers are well regarded (namely the R7800), I would have thought their new WiFi 6 supported chipset would be big by now but still nothing.

1 Like

Ath11k is having serious memory leak issues as of now.

2 Likes

Read up on Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 for all the details, this device OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX9000 probably meets your requirements… once it's supported.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

But it is compeltely unclear whether it will be supoorted by OpenWRT or not.

Since it's sold by Amazon, it should be in the FCC DB, but I haven't been able to find it.

That looks like EN7561DU/DA+MT7905DEN

The problem with USB3 on routers (and any device that does wireless) is that its signalling rate is right where WiFi 4 works - the 2.4GHz band. And guess what, most of these boards do not have appropriate RF shielding between the USB3 and wireless antenna lines, causing interference, frequent dropouts, or straight up killing your b/g/n networking.

At that point you're probably better off getting a Raspberry Pi 4 - even the cheapest, 1GB 2GB RAM model will work fine for DLNA/SMB purposes, and you're putting less of a strain on your network gateway. And you could even get Plex running on it, for some added user convenience.

4 Likes

I'm not talking about using the RasPi as a router, but as the media server... The one LAN port is more than enough to hook it up to your router.

Also, the Xiaomi R3G (I presume you have the V1, not the V2, since latter has no USB3), which is NOTORIOUS about the USB lanes not being separate. Try disabling the USB3 port and see your 2.4GHz WiFi improve :wink:

Also just because you see no problems, it doesn't mean there aren't any. Have you done any comparisons with/without USB? And I'm not talking about just unplugging the device, but properly disabling the power supply to the port. Go check it out. You might not even realise you're having issues if the only scenario you checked is with USB3 enabled...

2.4GHz is far from obsolete, though. A lot of devices will use it as fall-back, and a lot of older/IoT devices will not support 5GHz.

As for the price, the Pi4 1GB will set you back a whopping $35 for a device that will be superior to pretty much any current-day router sub-$150 out there today (MSRP/new price, not the price you can snag one used if you're lucky). Which shouldn't be too much for someone who has 4x routers in the $100-150 price range.

4 Likes

Mostly works. Just the LEDs don't.

2 Likes

Raspberry Pi 4 - 2G is $35 in the US, but in France it is 43 Euro. Adding on the power supply, case, WiFI, 2nd USB ethernet, SD card, etc etc, brings the price up even higher. It is Broadcom based...

This looks like the same device as Belkin RT1800.

2 Likes

Sounds about right.

2 Likes

The Pi4 already has WiFi, why would you add it? Or a second ethernet? Does everyone who reads my comment misses the point that I'm recommending it not as a networking device, but as a media device?

You don't need an SD card, since the Pi4 can be booted from USB hard drives, and even network now.

2 Likes

then why are you/it in this thread, did you miss the thread topic :wink:

No, I have not. The argument was about USB3 usage, for which the above people used their routers, and have been complaining about the lack of WiFi 6 routers that have the feature.

I've given an alternative option.

3 Likes

OK, so Raspberry Pi CM4 + CM4IO + EDUP Wifi 6 PCIe card costs how much to use as a USB3 + WiFi 6 media device? :slight_smile: [I am actually interested, not trying to be annoying]