802.11.s mesh and igmp snooping

I've got a Dynalink DL-WRX36 (dev topic here: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/dynalink-dl-wrx36-askey-rt5010w-ipq8074-openwrt-support/) with ath11k wifi hardware. Ath11k doesn't support WDS at the moment, so I need to use 802.11s as wireless uplink to my second DL-WRX36. It seems that 802.11s doesn't support multicast traffic (and/or igmp snooping) required for iptv. It seems that it has not been standardized by the IEEE.

With WDS and my old hardware, I've been able to setup a wireless uplink via WDS, bridge that to the standard bridge br-lan and enable igmp snooping on that bridge. It worked flawlessly. With 802.11s I'm not able to get iptv working stutter-free.

I can't use the different multicast proxies available, because my iptv receiver is locked, I can't set ip addresses for the streams manually, so I need to get igmp snooping working via 802.11s or a different solution like BATMAN-adv etc.

Do you have any idea how to achieve that?

As far as I am aware it does support multicast but by default the rate is set to a low level - depending on the actual driver in use. This would explain the stuttering.

I have no means of testing this but you could try setting mcast-rate in the wifi-iface section of the wireless config for the mesh.

Something like:

config wifi-iface 'mesh0'
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'mesh'
    option encryption 'sae'
    option key 'secretmeshkey'
    option disabled '0'
    option network 'lan'
    option mesh_id 'PublicFreeMesh'
    option mcast_rate '1000'

where the required rate is in Kb/s.
Using trial and error, increase the value until the stuttering stops.

PS. Do this on every mesh node ie at both ends if you only have two.

1 Like

Thank you for your support :slight_smile: I found a much easier solution for me:

But I'll dive into 802.11s in the future again. And I'll read up about mcast_rate. Maybe there are other multicast features, but documentation is hard to find. If something intersting pops up or if I've made some further tests, I'll update this topic. It's on my watchlist :wink: