6 Mbps on Archer C7v3 5GHz network [solved]

I just installed 18.06.01 on my TP-Link Archer C7 v3. The 2.4ghz network is running faster than the stock firmware, but the 5ghz is slow as molasses. I'm only seeing 6 Mbps.

The entry from /etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'pci0000:01/0000:01:00.0'
	option country 'US'
	option legacy_rates '1'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option channel '36'

and iwinfo wlan0 info

wlan0     ESSID: "Redacted"
          Access Point: F4:F2:6D:FC:17:58
          Mode: Master  Channel: 36 (5.180 GHz)
          Tx-Power: 23 dBm  Link Quality: 43/70
          Signal: -67 dBm  Noise: -102 dBm
          Bit Rate: 6.0 MBit/s
          Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
          Type: nl80211  HW Mode(s): 802.11nac
          Hardware: 168C:003C 0000:0000 [Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880]
          TX power offset: none
          Frequency offset: none
          Supports VAPs: yes  PHY name: phy0

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to improve the performance of my 5ghz network?

Can you try changing the channel to see if your issue is interference/congestion on channel 36?

I've tried multiple channels, 6Mbps on every channel attempted. Eventually after changing channels the radio seems to have quit on me completely.

What happens on 40 MHz?

The ath10k driver always reports a TX rate of 6 Mbps. The actual TX rate is correct, and almost always higher than 6 Mb, but driver limitations prevent it being reported back to user space.

Use iwinfo wlan0 assoclist to see the TX (still wrong at 6 Mb) and RX rate (actual) for each station. This will also report the bandwidth that is being used.

I think you need to set the channel to 42 to use 80 MHz in the low end of the band.

Well that's nifty isn't it. I assume there's a bug report somewhere, and this isn't community fixable?

Thank you for the help. According to my MPB I'm actually seeing >400Mbps TX rate on my 5ghz network.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.