5GHz WiFi issues with WRT1200AC running OpenWrt 21.02.x

Try with just WPA2. see this if > 1 SSID on a radio.

1 Like

Fresh 22.03-rc4 install. Can't get the 5GHz working either.

Avoid DFS channels, at least for testing. Using DFS channels implies at least 60s wait time before the channel may go up - and mwlwifi has never been good dealing with DFS to begin with (meaning it may fail if a radar is detected).

it's been a day and there isn't any radar on this frequency around here (plus the AP is in the basement)

FYI, I tried with openwrt-22.03.0-rc6-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt1200ac-squashfs-sysupgrade and also had issues with 5 GHz using WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE Mixed on WRT1200AC v2. I rolled back to openwrt-21.02.3-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt1200ac-squashfs-sysupgrade and everything seems ok now on the 5 GHz.

It'll be interesting to see how the final release of 22.03 does for people. Looks like it was just released.

I just did a sysupgrade to 22.03 from 21.02.2, keeping settings. I'll report back if I notice anything problematic.

For me the wifi 5g problem persists with 22.03 :expressionless:

FYI, I tested my WRT1200AC v2 with 22.03.2 (Fresh) yesterday and 5 GHz issues still happening with mixed WPA2/WPA3 PSK. I am currently running 21.02.5 (Fresh Install) and all is running well as main router and AC on 5 GHz and N on 2.4 GHz both with mixed WPA2/WPA3 PSK.

Any updates for 22.03.x?

Sorry to necro this thread.

I'm on 22.03.2, the problem persists. Router will randomly drop my radio0 / Marvell 88W8864, after some period of time it'll come back up. Manually resetting it does nothing. I'm unfortunately going to 19.07.9 tomorrow.

Note: No builds for WRT1200AC v2 for 22.03.3 or 22.03.4 as of yesterday, so I did try again to see if previous 5 GHz issues still persisted. I am currently running 21.02.6 (Update with Config from 21.02.5) and all is running well as main router and AC on 5 GHz and N on 2.4 GHz both with mixed WPA2/WPA3 PSK.

Did you ever try 21.02.6 (which was released a few days before your post, with 21.02.7 now available)?

Btw, some people on WRT1900AC and WRT32 have had good results with snapshot builds in the last few months (I believe there was even a fix in there within the last few weeks for people seeing disconnections), but I can't say whether you'll have similar results or not on the WRT1200AC. It'd be interesting to find out, though.

Edit: Fix I was referring to within the last few weeks: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/12373

Edit 2: Another fix is in the works: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/12500

I didn't even wind up rolling back, got distracted with infinity other hobbies, so I'm still on 22.03.2.

I'll check out those threads when I have some mental bandwidth to do so. Thanks for the great reply!!

You actually might as well just wait until 23 is released, as it seems to be getting close: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/10672

I downgraded to 21.02.7 last night, seems to work so far.

Good to know. I suspected those later versions might fix your problem.

I've been monitoring threads about 23.05.0-rc1 -- people on various Linksys WRT models have been having good results so far. I might test 23.05.0-rc2, lol.

Meh.. Still dropping 5Ghz with 21.02.7. Oh well, may downgrade further if I get motivated.

If you happen to get motivated to downgrade, why not help test by upgrading to 23.05.0-rc1 and see if it's fixed there? Then we'll know for sure whether it's been fixed.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I haven’t had any 5GHz radio drops at all on 23.05.0-rc1 or the master snapshots preceding it. On the master snapshots prior to 23.05.0-rc1, I had 50+ days uptime plus another 50+ days of uptime all with no 5GHz drops.

On those older stable branches, I used to have the 5GHz radio drop every 3 to 10 days or sometimes maybe a bit longer.

mwlwifi, despite all of its not-so-wonderful development history, is without a doubt at its absolute prime right now as far as performance and reliability go.