5ghz support on 2.4ghz router?

i have an old wifi repeater that only support 2.4 ghz so if i buy a 5ghz wifi adapter and plug it on it with the driver installer can i connect to a 5ghz network on it ?

It depends on the adapter. Not all support ap mode and many of them have poor performance when used in ap mode.

Save yourself the headache- if you’re buying new hardware, get a WiFi ap or all-in-one WiFi router device that has a 5G radio and is supported by OpenWrt. Even older units will likely have better performance than a usb WiFi adapter.

1 Like

i want to use it just as a client not ap mode

In that case it might be okay. Just make sure you do your research on the chipset it uses and the drivers required before you buy.

3 Likes

rtl8832au ?

No, just no - realtek wireless is usually not an option and its own episode of hell.

A 2.4-GHz-only router tends to be a low-end and old device, with a slow SOC and USB2, these simply don't have the performance to keep up with a USB WLAN card (especially not over USB2). Really, any penny spent on this would be wasted, get a cheap (not too low-end) concurrent dual-band wireless router (second hand could be fine) and skip the experimenting and trouble - it probably ends up even cheaper than a semi-decent USB WLAN card.

1 Like

any recommendations of cheap options for 5ghz access points ¿

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of performance - and even more on the regional availability (second hand markets) around you.

For me, around here in Germany, the D-Link DAP-X1860 regularly goes on sale for ~15 EUR new from big online- and stationary electronics retailers, that is hard to beat for a 802.11ax repeater/ AP (with a single ethernet port this is not suitable as router, nor is it mt7621a SOC the fastest option on the block, but as pure wired AP, they are a good option).

In general, mt7621, mt7622, filogic 8x0, ipq40xx, ipq806x, ipq807x are the primary choices for wireless routers these days - but there might still be very cheap ath79 or lantiq options around you on the second hand markets (e.g. the tl-wdr3600/ tl-wdr4300 is a low-end/ 802.11n tractor (8/128; 8 MB flash is not great) that is selling for very little money in used condition).

1 Like

i have now an h556a it's realize old yeah but it's working but good things in the hg556a that it can work as a repeater ( wirelessly) and that's what i like about it.
i use to connect to the main wifi wirelessly then i grab LANs to my pc , tv box etc..
i wonder if there's a 5ghz device that i can do the same with it

DAP-X1860 at those prices is a nobrainer.
They’ve got a web-recovery too so it’s easy to unbrick (unlike TP-Link), and non fuzzy with installing OpenWrt.

1 Like