5GHz: disabel DFS switching channels (not as bad as it sounds)

i cannot post it here, admin will ban me, and i do not want that

that will never happen with openwrt, just change the mac address of wwan or ap and they never can do that

Worst case you could write a script that checks if the radio is operating on a channel other than 60, and shuts it down if it is.

They are very serious about this: we're the only ones operating an access point, we've gotten a complaint about this before and I suspect they might own radio direction finding equipment. Just changing the MAC address is not sufficient to stop them. As I stated in the original post, fighting them on this will not work. I'm looking for a technical solution to prevent our AP from sending outside of channel 60, without disabling DFS.

That's a really good solution, hadn't thought of that before :slight_smile:

Enterprise APs have the ability to scan the RF environment and alert the administrators based on various rules they have set. The APs that detect the 'violation' will be in a known location and they can generally triangulate the source of the problem by using multiple APs in known locations. So more than likely this is part of the general network infrastructure, not some specialized equipment.

Maybe reach out to the administrators and share the radio config (and even this thread) with them so that they know you are doing your best to comply with the rules they have set. It doesn't necessarily excuse a 'violation' but will at least let them know you do respect the rules -- hopefully they can give you an immediate alert (in a non-threatening way) if they detect a problem from your AP, and then you can work to resolve it before they need to take actions like revoking your ability to operate the AP.

3 Likes

Is it possible to restrict others from using any WLAN channels (apart from DFS, TPC and SRD)? I don't know where you're trying to do that, but I doubt that would be legal in the EU unless there's a good reason and an authorized by the competent administration

I think it is legal: we're on the universities terrain, using one of their rooms. The good reason is that they want to avoid interference with their access points. Even if it isn't legal to prohibit us from using that WLAN channel, they can still take away our uplink if they don't like what we're doing. Fighting them on the legality is not the way to go.

The technical solution worked for us, I've marked it as 'Solution'

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.