5.10.138 kernel network performance on Lamobo R1

I am trying to tweak the 22.03 installation on Lamobo R1 and somehow I cannot get the ethernet performance above 20MBit/s. With the 19.7.04 image I am able to reach the Gbit speed, but this was on 4.9 kernel. Any changes have been made to the networking section of the kernel between 4.9 and 5.10?

We're talking about 20+ versions or linux kernel so yes there were a lot of changes. In openwrt the biggest was the introduction of DSA in 21.02 that basically changes how network devices like ports and switches are defined

I am trying to tweak the performance of 22.03 stable release on this board, but the software offloading has basically no effect on the throughput of the wan interface, moreover with 22.03 I had to change switch configuration wan port to lan1 port to get at least valid wan address for the wan. For some reason the dedicated wan port had no transmitted data on it. So I repurposed lan port to wan port. The networking started to work, but the throughput is below 20Mbit. This was not the case with 19.7.4 image. My suspicion is the kernel, because in 22.03 the dedicated wan on the board is rendered dead since boot. My question is now that any of the kernel boot parameters do affect the network switch of the board?

I tried to add option vlan_filtering '1' to the network config as per advice in the armbian forum, but no effect in the iperf results. It is still showing 18Mbit speed with following config.

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
	option device 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fdbe:c324:cba0::/48'

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option mtu '1500'
	list ports 'eth0.102'
	list ports 'lan2'
	list ports 'lan3'
	list ports 'lan4'
	list ports 'wan'
	option vlan_filtering '1'

config interface 'lan'
	option device 'br-lan'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option device 'br-wan'

config interface 'wan6'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'
	option reqaddress 'try'
	option reqprefix 'auto'
	option device 'br-wan'

config device
	option type '8021q'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option vid '101'
	option name 'eth0.101'

config device
	option type 'bridge'
	option name 'br-wan'
	list ports 'eth0.101'
	list ports 'lan1'
	option vlan_filtering '1'

config device
	option type '8021q'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option vid '102'
	option name 'eth0.102'

Strange that speeds on the LAN ports reach 1Gbps, whereas the speed of the repurposed lan port to wan port reaches only 20Mbit.

Looks that for some reason the traffic generated with iperf on CPU does reach limit of 20MBit. The traffic generated on a LAN port with a laptop can reach the Gpbs limit. In my case it is 100Mbps where the limiting factor is a ethernet card on the laptop.

The summary is that the traffic generated on the A20 cpu reaches its limit with 20MBit. When using auxiliary units to generate traffic, the 1Gbps throughput can be reached. The only limiting factor is that the original wan must be reconfigured as lan and one of the lan ports should be configured as wan. This way the lamobo r1 router works. TODO: wifi preformance of the rtl 8192 chipset.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.