4G/LTE Router recommendation

I'll give the X750 a try and parallel ordered a TL-MR6400, we'll see (if the test is sucessful, I need a bunch of..)

I'm definitely interested in hearing your experiences with the X750

I tested some Mikrotik's devices - RB912 ~ 100 Mbit/s, RB953 ~ 130 Mbit/s.
The router based on mt7688a - 90 Mbit/s.
The router based on NXP i.mx287 - 30 Mbit/s.
The router based on TI am335x - 50 Mbit/s.
The router based on TI am43xx - 100 Mbit/s.
Different chipsets give very different speeds.

Is that LTE or Ethernet?

We're talking about lte. So, its lte speed

First impressions of the GL.iNet Spitz (GL-X750):
Ordered: 2018-12-15 evening, shipped 2018-12-18 from HK with DHL Express (so no worries with customs), delivered 2018-12-21 :ok_hand:

Unboxing:
OpenWRT vanilla!
(there is a "custom" Web-UI at first, which makes sense) but you can go straight through ("Advanced") to LuCI and root via SSH
-> exactly what I searched for!

Performance (Germany):
Vodafone
T-Mobile
O2/Telefonica
-> Will deliver that next week, as I have very bad reception here, it makes no sense to test now.
(I've set up a pretty clean and comparable Test-Environment, as I need more of them if testing succeeds)

So - first impression is :fu::fu:

I could post more if someone needs, just let me know, for know: it "just works"

Michael

1 Like

(Maybe worth a new topic)

Are there any proven, existing ways to (long-term) record and graph (RRD or similar) that:

root@GL-X750:~# tail -f /tmp/modem.1-1.2/signal 
{"type":"lte","rssi":-72,"rsrq":-15,"rsrp":-103,"snr":-2}

Michael

I can't help you, but I'm wondering whether this is for collecting data for Mozilla's Location Service
That's something I've been theorizing on so I can do it someday ^^

Good luck with your experiments!

Merry Christmas

If you have time you could add information to OpenWrt wiki :wink:
The device page is missing: maybe you could add photos of the interior and your information about the board!

Have fun with your little piece of hardware!

Hi Makki1,

I am interested in using the GL-X750 with a T-Mobile SIM-card for LTE in Germany. Were you able to gather some performance data in the meantime? If yes, it would be very nice if you could post them here.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Jannis

Hi,

yes I did with VF and o2 in Germany - but unfortunately the recorded netalyzer results are (currently?) not available anymore.

Anyway, some subjective results:
20 - 30 Mbit 4G/LTE Up&Down indoor with very bad reception, a usual smartphone gets unusable EDGE at best there.
-> So the GL-X750 with the external (default) antennas für 4G does exactly what I wanted and needed.here -> 20Mbit is much better then EDGE only with a window open.. :fu:

The Wifi is rather poor (sure, it has only an integrated antenna for 802.11abgn..) but this could be fixed with an external AP on the LAN-Port.

I didnt do "scientist" measuerements but I'd expect that I rather hit the limits of 802.11abgn from the Client, than the limits of LTE here and I'm totally happy with it because 20MBit are much better than 0Mbit - without opening the window at -4°C :joy:

Michael

I'm interested in the topic line of this post and wondered how thing were going after a year of use... or is there a preferable option now?

@balanga After more than one year, I can tell you (not sponsored or associated)
I'm very happy with the GL.inet Spitz (GL-X750), using it weekly, vanilla OpenWRT - which is important for me - with some GUI in front.
Does everything I want, very good LTE reception, sdcard for things like collectd etc..

Makki

Sounds great.

I want something which will work in a rural area which has bad reception so I'm looking into getting some sort of external ariel. Do you have any experience using such an ariel with this device?

Why? My Hnet HW-C108 is a battery (6Ah) powered LTE travel router and works very well.

1 Like

Yes, and HW-C108 is the only one with LTE + Battery.
I should have written "almost mutually exclusive".

where can you buy the HW-C108 ?

Actually, when researching, I found a GL.inet branded device that also has a battery and an LTE module. It's about twice as expensive as the C108, though. IIRC it also claimed to use OpenWRT.

See my posts in the thread New Battery Power Router?,
and
https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=hnet+c108

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.