433,92 Mhz transmitter/receiver for domoticz using gpio

It looks like Python is used for the 433,92 Mhz learning mode and the current Domoticz package doesnt install Python. So i made the Python building package on my build machine and then run into a new issue when starting the Domoticz service;

Fatal Python error: drop_gil: GIL is not locked

A workaround seems tobe to downgrade python 3.7 to 3.6, Havn't been able todo that yet but thought id post the findings so far...

1 Like

Hi JeroenL, I'm currently evaluating my options for Home Automation as well. OpenWrt+Domoticz on TPLink Archer C7 v5 is a very interresting solution to me. Interfacing 433MHz devices is an issue I would like to solve too. As far as I can tell, there are plenty options to choose from:

• HW mod of router - connect GPIO signals to RX/TX pins of a cheap 433MHz receiver/transmitter (possibly 3,3V to 5V level shifter is needed), signal decoding/encoding done in software on OpenWrt, must write interface to domoticz

• RFLink receiver/transmitter - use serial communication ("RFLink protocol") over USB cable that domoticz already supports

• RTL2832 USB dongle (Software Defined Radio) - connected over USB, software decoding with project Rtl433 - receive only, supports other frequencies too (315, 869MHz)

• Arduino Nano + Cheap receiver/transmitter - connected over USB, software decoding/encoding in ATmega - serial communication with domoticz - interface TBD

• SONOFF 433 RF Bridge - flashed with Tasmota can communicate via MQTT to domoticz - LAN/WiFi connection between OpenWrt and Sonoff can significantly extend your 433MHz coverage

• cheap ESP8266 based devices - avoid 433MHz at all and only use WiFi communication

Did you finally succeed with your project? Which way did you choose?

hi Jan,

downgrading to python 3.6 worked at that time.
I got kinda stuck at trying to connect a simple click on click off device and wasnt able to pair them.
I didn't had time to continue my search due to other priorities.
I'm still interested in getting the transceiver to work.

For the test i ran openwrt where everything ran on external usb drive connected to the hlk-rm04.
it wasn't fast but it ran good without any problems, i installed a simple weatherstation and it worked flawless.

I'm not sure which voltage i used tho and maybe even that was the problem.

If i can help in anyway please let me know

I have a couple of RTL2832 dongles, that I use to receive signals from several assorted sensors, and it works like a charm.