2gig suggestions

It is https://fccid.io/K7S-08277/

So now your changing your debating strategy from polarizing guerillia style to a form of whattaboutism ? Disregarding each and every argument i make in the process.

It seems you that you're not only not willing to learn or even think about what i'm saying, you're just doing your "dog" thing, p*ssing to the neighbourhoods trees to mark you territory with youre "years of collected knowledge".

Life's too short for me for trying to open up your eyes. What i will do is address my fellow forum members and invite them to read my reply's and links to articles i post, so they will think for their own and make their own decision.

A little warning for everyone reading this, as a final reminder just to complete this reply: the power supplys which are often included with them noname boxes can be unapproved and untested, which means that if your house burns down duo to a no name power brick catching flames, you're uninsured. If i (and i do sometimes) order something from asia, and a power brick is included, i immediately throw it in the bin (for recycling) and replace it with one that is tested and approved, from well known brands like Delta or Meanwell. I urge anyone to do the same; it's just not worth saving a few bucks and in the process potentially losing all your belongings.

And yes, unapproved psu's can be very dangerous! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSE_Nm7pAw4

Sure seem to recall supermicro hacked products found in use by governments in the past.

1 Like

You mean the Bloomberg spy chip story?

AFAIK, there's no proof of its existence.

2 Likes

yep and for sure, the bad guys are the Chinese, the Americans are the good guys.
what interests governments is what happens in big companies, not in our little house.

I'm sorry but I don't see any coreboot support and you have there Intel me and ipmi. So the potential is even greater to get what you wanted to prevent with going that route in the first place

1 Like

Fake news. A simple search query would have found you enough information to make you aware that what you're recalling is

Bloomberg's "big hack" story is the single biggest cockup in infosec reporting that I know of. That's quite a statement, mind you, for there have been many cockups.

It amazes me how you manage to disregard any substantiated argument i'm stating, only to reply with an polarizing point of view which in no account addresses the points i'm making.

I'm not sure, you tell me what i want? Genuine semiconductor parts? Trustworthy firmware? Power supply's that are tested and approved? High efficiency power supply's?

And the coreboot firmware youre no-name blackbox comes with is offcourse available for download for source validation. Oh, wait a minute, these noname boxes don't even have a vendor website for support! So you're actually buying a metal box that comes with a website from aliexpress, and thats all! No way to trace back build info, manufacturer info, firmware information, parts list, and to finish up this list of all thats good about it: no warranty! And yes, i am aware of the warranty claims on those aliexpress websites. I'm also aware of what happens when you actually claim that warranty. And i can assure you, from my personal experience, there's not much you can do. Aliexpress releases payment after a certain amount of time to the seller. After that, you're on your own. And when it comes to it: sellers will do everything and anything to get out of warranty claims. In that event, because aliexpress already released payment for the item, there is nothing they can and will do.

Why we are even discussing this matter is beyond me. You actually prefer a device from an unknown source sourced from an unknown seller , with potentially unapproved high voltage parts, in favor of a quality build certified and approved device like a supermicro (or any other certified parts for that matter) device, only to save a couple of bucks?

Lanner.inc (including its branded hardware from Sophos, Rohde & Schwarz Cybersecurity, etc.), Barracuda, Cyberoam, Deciso, Netgate, Protectli, Roqos and friends all have hardware to offer - it just costs 3-8 times as much. But if that appeases your mind, no one has been fired for buying IBM^wCisco, yet...

1 Like

Let me quote myself:

So by getting yourself a nice second or third hand device, from well known brand, as you yourself mention like the ones from "Sophos, Rohde & Schwarz Cybersecurity, etc.), Barracuda, Cyberoam, Deciso, Netgate, Protectli, Roqos", not only are you doing yourself a favour by buying approved and validated hardware, as an extra bonus, you're doing the environment a big favour by reducing carbon emissions (when buying secondhand).

There are lots of beautiful, used, industrial class high end devices out there, that don't cost a lot. Just look at craigslist, ebay, or whatever marketplace exists in your area.

I regret making this post ong can all of you stop bickering? I'm not buying industrial grade hardware for our apartment. I was just looking for a decent solution that would be relatively unobtrusive. Discussion about the UN isn't quite what I want spamming my email inbox at 6 in the morning.

2 Likes

This looks interesting for 2.5G network

1 Like

it's a very nice product ! but do they sell a case for it somewhere ?

MINI-ITX, case could be found.

i mean a small and compact, like the mini pc, and with the appropriate backplate...

I'm not building a whole new PC just for a router.

A 2gig connection needs x86 hardware, at least in home use case.

Backplate will come with the motherboard, standard ATX size.

Something like this https://www.mini-itx.com/~M5XP should fit.

1 Like

What @KOA said.
My ISP's offering 10/10gbit, what kind of home router would support it!?