23.03 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+ 802.11r not working

I flashed 23.03 on Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
If use normal WPA2-PSK, it is working, i.e., client can successfully associate to Raspberry.
However, if I enable 802.11r fast transition, client doesn't discover Raspberry. Even sometimes if I change the channel/mode, client could find Raspberry, but when try to 4-way handshake, it fails. The reason says: WPA 4 way handshake information is different with beacon frame.

what would be issue ?

Are you using the RPis built in radio ?

Thanks frollic.

Sorry, what's RP ? Is there a configuration related to it in wifi ? Need to disable it ? Could you explain it in detail ?

I think you may have misunderstood the question:

'RPi' here is "Reapberry Pi" and the question was if you're using its built-in radio. (hint: if you are, you can expect terrible performance).

I'll add to the questions, though -- what other APs are you using?

sorry for misunderstanding.
Yes, I am using Raspberry Pi 3B+ for test.
My goal is: client could do fast roaming between APs.
I have 2 APs, one is TP-Link TL_WDR3500 Ver1.0, which is working fine. Fine meaning, it can be configure 802.11krv, client can connect to this AP.
However, for this RP, it doesn't work, after enable 802.11krv, client could not associate it.
It seems you had terrible experience for RP. You mean, RP doesn't support 802.11 krv ? or just bad roaming performance.

Most people using the built-in wifi of the RPi have a terrible experience ,)
I can imagine krv not being supported by the RPi.

1 Like

thanks frollic, it seems I have to look for another device as AP.

That's an excellent decision.

Although you have already gotten the overall answer, I want to provide some detail here... (and FWIW, I've never used the Pi wifi).

The Pi has a very low end wifi chipset onboard. It is sufficient for the 'typical' use case where it is a client (sta mode) with a general purpose OS (like Raspberry Pi OS) and being used for web browsing and other small computer type uses.

The wifi system is not intended for use as an AP. While it does indeed function, it is poor, at best. The radio is a 1x1 design with a small PCB-based antenna. It doesn't have MIMO or any of the other significant gains of real APs, either, nor does it support simultaneous dual-band operation. Taken together, this means the range and throughput is low to begin with, but it also is particularly bad when attempting to work as an AP with multiple sta mode devices due to that 1x1 radio.

So, yeah, the Pi is about the worst possible AP.

2 Likes

thanks psher, fair enough. Very meaning for your explain in such detail.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.