22.03.5: connecting to the AP is slow

I have a TV plugged into one of those "power-saver" power strips that turns off the other outlets in the strip when the TV is turned off and a ROKU plugged into an outlet that is turned off/on when the TV is turned off/on.

With 21.02.5 the ROKU connected to my AP fast enough that by the time the TV & Roku booted up everything was working.

With 22.03.3 and then 22.03.5 it seems like 4 out of 5 times the ROKU complains about no network connectivity when I try to watch something :frowning: I need to go into network connection setup, select my SSID and connect to get a connection. Or turn the TV on and wait a few minutes before I get a network connection.

When I upgraded I did NOT
"Uncheck/clear the “Keep settings” checkbox especially for
major version upgrades, so that new defaults will get applied."

I have the AP acting as a bridge (ie. wan and lan on the same vlan, no routing, dhcp, dns enabled) and it was kind of a pain to get it working; which is why I kept the settings when upgrading from 21 to 22. Do I need to start all over again from scratch or is there something else I can do to get wireless devices to connect to the AP faster?

21 stable was a great release. I would just stay there if everything was running nicely. You have to remember manufacturers are still releasing products built on LEDE17!!!

Many users have noted the older plastic routers are slowing down on the newer versions of OpenWRT. Generally speaking there is no way around that other than to upgrade your hardware.

I am facing similar issues with my older plastic routers and choosing to keep them on older versions and then buying a newer more powerful edge router (E8450) for them to hide behind.

(But if you want to troubleshoot it then you should say what router it is and post configs.)

21 stable certainly is nice, but I'd prefer to keep up with the current stable software (after skipping the first 1 or two releases :slight_smile:

I haven't noticed any slowness after connecting to the AP - it's just the initial connection can sometimes take a minute or two and it used to be that as soon as the remote worked I was able to start streaming on the ROKU.

The router is a TP-LINK Archer C7 V5 running
openwrt-22.03.5-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
I've got it configured purely as a bridge - no routing, dhcp, dns, etc. so maybe that's why it still seems fast to me?

I'm not sure what configs you want to see - maybe this?

root@roku-ap:/etc/config# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
        option band '5g'
        option distance '10'
        option frag '2346'
        option rts '2347'
        option country 'US'
        option beacon_int '100'
        option cell_density '1'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option channel '153'
        option disabled '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option disassoc_low_ack '0'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'pAsSwOrD'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option max_inactivity '14400'
        option wpa_group_rekey '1200'
        option disabled '1'
        option ssid 'tvAP'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'platform/ahb/18100000.wmac'
        option band '2g'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option channel '6'
        option country 'US'
        option cell_density '3'
        option frag '2346'
        option rts '2347'
        option distance '10'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option max_inactivity '14400'
        option disassoc_low_ack '0'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'pAsSwOrD'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option max_listen_interval '65535'
        option ssid 'tvAP'

root@roku-ap:/etc/config#

The 5g radio is turned off - my laptop has only the 2.4g wireless & I was trying to do some troubleshooting with the laptop.

Just to rule out non-wireless issues (e.g. dhcp, for whatever reason): Have you checked the AP's logs (and if possible the DHCP server's logs) whether the roku "connect" delay is due to WLAN association or DHCP?

I have to wonder if this may be the problem....

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/wrt1900acs-wifi-issue-after-upgrade-from-19-07-to-21-02-vacuum-cleaner-legacy-rate-support/113311/47

See mudlark's most recent post...