2 interfaces in one broadcast domain?

Ahoy friends.
I got my OpenWRT device, having 10G connections, and also a huge 1G network connected to it.
In my home network i got several vlans, vlan 110 and so on.
I also got my pc connected to the router, also having a vlan 110 subinterface, but its not directly attached to the rest of the home network, because my home network infrastructure does not support 10G.

But i would also like both to use the same address range, and they should also forward broadcast packages to each other. In other words, both interfaces should act like a switch, or layer 2 network.
How can i do so? Do i have to work with bridges maybe, bridging the pc1.110 onto the restofthenetwork.110 interface? Or what is the way of choice?

Please don't open multiple topics. Solve your issues one at a time then open a new topic.

1 Like

You bridge the subinterface ethX.110 and subinterface ethY.110.
X is your 10G interface
Y is your 1G interface

By bridging those subinterfaces, you are creating a "poor-man's" switch, which is not really so great because you are going to tax the CPU in the OpenWRT box with forwarding all the packets tagged with VLAN ID 100 from the 10G interface to the 1G interface, and back. But, this is the only way you can do this.

You can do this in Network > Interfaces > (Choose the ethX.100 Interface) > Edit > Physical Settings :: Interface. Then select custom from the drop-down box next to Interface, manually enter the interface name to which you want to bridge ethX.100 (which should be ethY.100) and press Enter on the keyboard. Then click Save in the same window and then apply.

So it should look like that? Is it maybe better to do it vise versa, bridging the 1G interface to 10G interface?
Unfortunately it doesn't work yet, that's what i tried.

Is there a way to group interfaces in LuCi? Unfortunately it's starting to get messy because i got almost 50 interfaces already.

Yes, but make sure you are not using the physical interfaces (eth0.200 or eth6.200) anywhere else in uci.

Yes.

• Interfaces - add them to the same Interface enumeration; or
  • Firewall configs - to same firewall zone

depending on what you desire in regards to "grouping".

But as @trendy stated:

3 Likes

Ah thank you very much, it's working quite fine now, using the bridge way.
This way i can "merge" all these subinterfaces, and i'm having almost 30 interfaces less.

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.