2.5 - 10 Gbps internet

I think I retract my qualification, this offers a 10Gbps LAN port, something the first generation of CPE did not. I have no data/opinion, whether that Zyxel can reliably NAT/firewall at 10Gbps, but unlike the first generation CPE from swisscom it at least has the ports required to do so.

I think with a 2.5Gbps connection you could for a reasonable amount of money use a 2.5Gbps port on the WAN and dual or triple 1Gbps in a LAG group to a managed LAN switch, and make use of most of the aggregate 2.5Gbps for not much extra money (since you can use gig switches). Beyond 2.5Gbps these days, it's much less convincing.

Actually transferring more than 2.5Gbps over your WAN on anything other than a speed test is unlikely, as most servers on the internet just won't give you that much bandwidth. It would have to be a coordinated transfer between multiple sites, such as a Torrent or similar. Even that's not super likely to happen.

1Gbps on the WAN is by far the sweet spot for performance / dollar

3 Likes

Wow, that's nice. They even let you buy the optics for your own CPE separately. I like that.

On the face of it, https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qhora-301w might be an option with OpenWrt potential (ipq8072a) - but that is both betting on its performance in the face of 10 GBit/s throughput and getting OpenWrt working properly on this target (and with sufficient hardware acceleration). The advice would still remain on x86_64 and matching supporting network infrastructure (switches, APs).

I guess 10G would be nice for those hosting their own data via NAS.

Good to see you moving on Oli from the WRT1900 router. I've moved on ages ago with X86_64 routers. I have one I built myself, it's the most powerful router of my collection. Hope you find what you are looking for.

2 Likes

10Gbit would be amazing for teleworking if your remote host was configured to provide corresponding bandwidth and throughput at the far end. With two WFH people in this house, 1Gbit is more than adequate until somebody needs to move disk images or entire filesystems over the link, at which point you need rate shaping to avoid affecting each other and to be a little patient. 10 or even 2.5Gbit, if stable, fairly low latency and fully resourced at both ends would make remote disk mounts just about as usable in a practical sense as local disks, something I could actually use.

Latency over the internet would be much bigger than latency over the LAN. This would likely make things less responsive than LAN (since it would also affect bandwidth finding in the TCP algorithm) but yes bigger is always better.

I'm also in the WFH bandwagon from before the pandemic and do all my work on remote systems inside the datacenters that need the big files work and was able to do the same operations behind my home's 500/250 ftth and on a couple of mbps provided by a mobile hotspot. There are very few scenarios where you'll need the ++gbps for remote work

10Mbps speed??? or 10Gig?

You surf the net with it, what else?

Surfing will just be very fast.

I am not sure if you have an idea on what you're talking about.

2 Likes

Something nice to thing about. I have an old gen8 hp server. 8 x 4tb in a pool with 2 disk redundancy, I can achieve over 1.5gB transfer rates. I have on this server a 30flr i think with 2*10gbit sfp ports. I could just stick the fo in one of them. It is forwarded directly to my pfsense vm so that could easily manage the 10gbit network.
If there is a will, there is a way. I just do not need that throughput YET.

2 Likes

Hello,
just found this device on Aliexpress :

With 4x Intel 2.5G i225V V3

3 Likes

I found this:

Recommended NICs:

Intel NIC Genuine vs Fake:

IMHO that is a strong argument for the i225... such management features open quite dangerous new attack surfaces, so unless that features is actually used and required, not having such capability exposed in the NIC seems like the safer alternative....

2 Likes

But there is no BMC in this mini PC, so what's the problem exactly ?
This article is about servers using an i225 as BMC Nic...There should be no problem if used as a simple normal nic.

3 Likes

Looking at https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/ROCKPro64_Hardware_Accessory_Compatibility I guess the RockPro64 would be good for up to ~2.5G or so (with filtering)...

Hi,

I think, right now, your best bet will be to use an x86/64 with at least an i5 and an intel 10g T2 card(dual nic).
And you can add a 4x1 gbps on it for lower speed clients.
For wifi... any router with a 2.5 gbps wan port will do... but those are not cheap...

I know that currently openwrt has drivers for aqc111 chipset which is usb and is a max 5gbps( there is a qnap usb nic that has the chip and is recognized by openwrt if i remember correctly).
I haven't tested an asus 10g nic yet due to lack of time...these are expensive as well. Asus also has 2.5 gbps pci e nics so those might work....

But from my experience...if you are the only user... then you will never pass 3.2 gbps max on a 10gbps link...because of the 1500mtu.. for a single thread to fully consume that bw you need an mtu of 9000 or lqrger. Something I am willing to bet the ISP will not do since mtu is always enabled end to end in a network.

3 Likes

How well would that CPU keep up if people are recommending i5 and up for multigigabit? Any numbers on these weaker processors with 2,5 Gbps or higher?

1 Like