19.07.4 (Rolling out)

Are all the builds done yet fo (all seem dated 09/08/2020 so 2 days ago) ?
I ask because I was looking for re450v1 in ath79 but can't find it (was expecting it to be available as re450v1 has the ar71xx-ath79 target).

I am new to openwrt so maybe I missunderstood what I read on ar71xx-ath79.

Regards

I didn't say all of them, check https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/ so many devices been there for a while now and didn't make it to 19.7.4 like the EA7500 v2 in our case.

I think you are confused, we weren't talking about if a device is supported by OpenWrt or not we were talking about a device image moving from development phase (snapshot) to a stable release image (19.07.4) your DIR-878 A1 and the EA7500 v2 are still in snapshot phase which means they are still in development which means there is no official support for them yet. in fact they warn you against using snapshots unless you are the experimental type cause snapshots might render your device nonfunctional.
Check this link please https://openwrt.org/faq/difference_between_a_release_and_a_trunk_build

Check the release notes please https://openwrt.org/releases/19.07/notes-19.07.4

Known issues

Transition to ath79: some devices that are supported in ar71xx are not yet supported in ath79: this is a community effort. Helping to port devices to ath79 to make them available in future releases is very welcome.

Or check the 19.x git log

Thanks for the reply,

Guess I missunderstood

If target = ar71xx-ath79 → devices with this target can be found in both, ar71xx and ath79

from https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ar71xx-ath79

Yet you said 'most'. That suggests there are more mt7621 devices that have been added to master since 19.07 has seen its first release, than that there are mt7621 devices supported in 19.07. And that is a pretty bold claim.

No my friend - you are. Read again what I wrote. I have highlighted the relevant bit this time.

See also the related wiki entry.

Now I am really confused, what are you trying to say?
We were hoping that our devices moved from development to stable by the 19.07.4 but they didn't.
And it doesn't show so far that it's on the road map to 20.xx.
What do I take from all your replies and how is it even relevant?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/ramips/mt7621/
Please check the above two pages and let me know how many still in development and how many in stable release.

1 Like

46 MT7621* devices with snapshot support only
54 MT7621* devices with 19.07.4 support

4 Likes

Device support is usually not backported from master to stable release (19.07.x at this moment), but they will be part of the next major stable release (20.xy.0 at this point). Until then, snapshots are rebuilt daily, so you will find snapshot support rather quickly after the necessary have been merged.

--
There are exceptions to the rule (for devices that are common, very, very similar to existing ones (don't need anything beyond dts/ image recipe and networking/ led setup) and convince a developer that it's needed to be backported - again, it's an exception, relatively rare, less than a handful of devices make the cut.

3 Likes

I counted
100 MT7621* devices with snapshot support only
55 MT7621* devices with 19.07.4 support
How did you get your count?

1 Like

Thks for coming back, will wait for next release.

A general feedback: just not having visibility which of device in snapshot ends up in release, will cause some disappointment. Maybe there is some device status track report that gives progress, which i was not aware.

Anyway ~ thks for response.

2 Likes

They key word is ONLY

100 = 54 + 46

4 Likes

Much of discussion of this thread seems to be based on the assumption that 19.07.4 would somehow relate to the current master or "snapshots". But no, 19.07.4 is the maintenance release for the 19.07 branch, reflecting mainly July 2019 code plus fixes, security updates and smaller other updates that have been backported from master to the old 19.07 branch.

Nothing new added to master since July 2019 is by default in the 19.07 branch. A few newer routers may have been backported into 19.07, but those are exceptions. Most new routers and features are only in master, and will then get to the next release branch, hopefully 20.x, once that branch is branched off from master in the next few months.

Old graph by me trying to explain the branches:

Openwrt follows this branch strategy:

• all development happens in master. New devices are added there. It progresses on, but no releases are made of it. Buildbot development snapshots are made from master.
  • before major releases, a release branch is branched off from master. This branch will get separate fix commits and releases are made of that branch. No new features are normally added to the release branches after the branching. Maintenance releases (like 19.07.4 or 18.06.8) are made from the head of the respective stable branch.

In the picture above, you can see 17.01 (retired), 18.06 and 19.07 branches, of which the releases are made.

6 Likes

my bad, forgot to deduct releases from snapshots
anyway we ventured far enough in trivial things, nothing productive coming out of it.

2 Likes

If you don't bother clicking links I supply, or reading what I write, it can hardly be relevant indeed. Diagonal reading, then quoting and replying doesn't change that.

@tmomas spelled out the amount of devices for you to invalidate your claim, and it took you two extra round to realise you were wrong. Then @hnyman graphically illustrated what I stated earlier (and which is supported by the wiki link I supplied): devices are only backported to stable releases in corner cases.

You asked how it is relevant? It is because backporting hardware support to stable is the exception, not the norm. I wrote that explicitly in my first response, but yes, it took us ten more posts for you to realise. No offense, but the misunderstandings are on your end.

@forests_gump I could take a look at backporting EA7500 v2 support to 19.07, but it's a one-off offer. You'd have a 19.07.4 image then. Hopefully 20.xx will be forked one of the coming months and then people running recently added devices can switch to the pre-release snapshot builds.

Wow, I am wowed by the tremendous effort it took you to write all the posts to attack me and prove me wrong cause I said Most.

If you read my previous post and didn't do diagonal reading, then quoting and replying doesn't change that. Like you accused me of.

But it's truly amazing.
It takes dedication I give you that.
So let's be civilized and let this reply be the end of it. If you can.

Likewise I am terribly impressed by your ability to selectively read and draw the wrong conclusions, but then again, that was already apparent.

That, kind sir, is truly magnanimous of you. May I suggest you lead by example.

You were hoping for something that was never going to happen. As already mentioned before, support for new devices is hardly ever backported to stable branches. That means this if your device wasn't supported in the first 19.07.x release, it won't show up in 19.07.4 or any other later 19.07.x version for that matter. You will have to wait for a stable 20.x branch the be created.

1 Like

Now that this has been clarified, and since the 19.07.4 release has been rolled out and announced, please head over to the official announcement topic for feedback on this new release.

2 Likes