19.07.0 error on login screen

hi

I am getting this error below with 19.07.0 on login screen, so is the current stable 18.06.5 safe to be on at the moment and does it have the same patch level as the new ~rc?

next, how to solve this error?

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:315: /etc/config/luci seems to be corrupt, unable to find section 'main'
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'assert'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:315: in function 'dispatch'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:208: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:207>

@hbx, welcome to the community.

Try flashing without saving settings.

how would I restore them after?

and please explain, can I stay on latest stable instead or that more security patches are on this rc?

• Backup
  • Flash
  • Manually compare and restore

This is actually being discussed in quite a few threads, due to the Release Candidate being made available recently.

I'm lost at your question. Previous versions are not (rarely) upgraded. A newer build usually has more updates, including security.

If you need more clarity, you may want to open a new thread for this question; or ask here: OpenWrt 19.07.0 first release candidate

Backup
Flash
Manually compare and restore

why do I have to backup if I am going to do a setup from scratch?

This is actually being discussed in quite a few threads, due to the Release Candidate being made available recently.

can you link me to some of those please?

I'm lost at your question. Previous versions are not (rarely) upgraded. A newer build usually has more updates, including security.

I am just assuming since 19.07 is a rc then it is still in testing

OK, don't. Your choice. I don't understand why you wouldn't save something if you had the opportunity.

No problem. Look above.

:point_right: Screenshot%20from%202019-11-13%2013-57-10

Also see: https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=config%20config%20save%20upgrade%20order%3Alatest_topic

(Feel free to use the search feature too.)

Ummmm yes, hence why it's called "RC".

OK, don't. Your choice. I don't understand why you wouldn't save something if you had the opportunity.

I dont mind, I just thought that I could use the backup to restore the settings some how and that is why you suggested that I do the backup, am I right?

Ummmm yes, hence why it's called "RC".

I mean can I just stay on current stable for a while until 19.07.0 reaches an official release or do you suggest upgrading now is better?

No problem. Look above.

:point_right: Screenshot%20from%202019-11-13%2013-57-10

Also see: https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=config%20config%20save%20upgrade%20order%3Alatest_topic

(Feel free to use the search feature too.)

thank you :slight_smile:

No, that is not why I advised that. Restoring between versions is dangerous, and has been known to soft brick some users' devices. There's also a major device target change between version 18 and 19 for some devices (ar71xx to ath79) - so saving configs is also not advised when switching firmware between the targets. This is why I provided the search link.

So, again:

That is the point of keeping a copy, as you have no reference if you wipe your old configs.

Personally, I use snapshots anyway - as there's quite a few updates I need since the release of version 18. So again, your choice. Just be mindful snapshots don't have the web GUI; but RC should. Nonetheless, you'll have to migrate your configs at some point to upgrade to version 19.

No problem - hope it helps.

No, that is not why I advised that. Restoring between versions is dangerous, and has been known to soft brick some users' devices. There's also a major device target change between version 18 and 19 for some devices (ar71xx to ath79) - so saving configs is also not advised when switching firmware between the targets. This is why I provided the search link.

So, again:

Manually compare and restore

That is the point of keeping a copy, as you have no reference if you wipe your old configs.

It is clear now but at first I dind't quite understand what you meant by 'manual restoration' while having a 'backup'

Personally, I use snapshots anyway - as there's quite a few updates I need since the release of version 18. So again, your choice. Just be mindful snapshots don't have the web GUI; but RC should. Nonetheless, you'll have to migrate your configs at some point to upgrade to version 19.

I am fairly new to all of this but I will try to use snapshots from now on

now, do you suggest using sysupgrade image without saving settings or use the main image and do factory reset, what is the difference? (I have 18.06.5 running now)

I am hoping these steps will solve the error but I need to know which image to use

Then read here how to install the web GUI: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials

Always use sysupgrade to upgrade OpenWrt - I'm not sure what this has to do with saving the configs.

Never heard of this procedure and I'm not sure why you suggested it. Anyways, sysupgrade is used to upgrade OpenWrt.

Never heard of this procedure and I'm not sure why you suggested it

I could flash it back to manufacturer image then install 19.07 factory.bin or just use sysupgrade without saving settings

I think the outcome would be the same unless I am mistaken

1 Like

Now I understand. That seems extreme, time consuming and unnecessary.

What I don't understand - is why you keep mentioning the settings and factory firmware. You can sysupgrade or flash from factory without the need of the old settings.

Just sysupgrade and you're done. Simple. I see no need to add extra steps.

I will proceed with sysupgrade and take it from there

thanks for all the help

1 Like