17.01.1 x86 doesn't detect all of the RAM

Hello there, and thanks to all the people for the contributions to the project!

I have a question. Both OpenWRT and now LEDE, never recognized the full memory of the mini-computer I'm using as a router. It does have 2GB of memory, properly recognizable in the BIOS, and in LiveCD environments like Ubuntu MATE, yet neither OpenWRT 15.05.1, nor LEDE 17.01.1 will "see" anything more than 1GB.

Is there anything I can do about that?

Thanks in advance!

Are your running x86/generic or x86/64 ?

I am using an Intel ATOM N270 CPU and board, so it's x86/generic.

Ah okay, I believe the x86/generic is built without highmem support, hence the lack of support for RAM > 1GB. Will need to check with the other devs if we can enable highmem on x86/generic without breaking other legacy x86 targets.

Thank you for the reply! It would be so nice if you did that, especially for all these Atom boards floating around that make surprisingly good router boxes.

Is there anything I can do to enable it in boot time or in any other configuration file, or is it hardcoded in the kernel?

Unfortunately it is a hard-coded compile time setting.

So I have to play with the builder I guess. No time now, but thanks for the input and info. I believe that enabling by default for x86 isn't so bad resource-wise, and it would give benefits for all those little machines out there.

Highmem support for x86/generic has been enabled with https://git.lede-project.org/4b4f739 (master) and https://git.lede-project.org/af1d1eb (lede-17.01).

Updated snapshot binaries will be available within the next 24 hours.

I didn't expect this to be as fast as this, thanks! One question: In the Package Manager wiki article it specifically says that there is no way to upgrade the kernel. That means that for me to get that version you just changed, I have to install again?

Yes, exactly. You'll have to reflash with a newer image eventually.

Alright, thanks! :slight_smile:

would the fix still apply to the x86/64 builds too or just the x86?

The x86/64 subtarget is not affected by this problem.

1 Like