160MHz on Netgear R7800

That did not work for me.

Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->COUNTRY_UPDATE
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->HT_SCAN
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: interface state HT_SCAN->DFS
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: DFS-CAC-START freq=5180 chan=36 sec_chan=1, width=2, seg0=50, seg1=0, cac_time=60s
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.err hostapd: DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.err hostapd: Interface initialization failed
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: interface state DFS->DISABLED
Sun Apr 21 11:04:30 2019 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-DISABLED

DFS seems to indicate you can’t use those channels. The is nothing you can legally do to override that. 160 MHz channels are seldom usable because they are already occupied by other services that have higher priority.

1 Like

I did't see that you set up right country code: HT...

And you need kmod-ath10k-ct (non classic) kernel module driver (you may use it with classic/ct/ct-htt firmware). In kmod-ath you must set:
%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5

P.S.
But all that did not work at all in current master branch, vht160 AP did not appear...

OK, the driver you use was a very important detail that you left out of your original posts.

I was using country code of HT. Verified it with 'iw reg get' as well. I am using the upstream kernel driver ath10k, which is also the 18.06.2 default driver. Using a forked driver does not interest me.

I am in the USA and not near any military or weather radar. It appears those in the USA are unable to use 160mhz bonding. All of these new 160mhz cards and APs are useless.

within how many meters from an AP do you get this rate?

About 2 meters behind the concrete wall.

Concrete wall or a brick wall in a concrete building?

10 cm reinforced concrete wall :slight_smile:
VHT160 (as on VHT80) is very unstable for high speed file transfer, but i have seen about 130 MB/s on VHT160 1733 mbit, but behind the 2 walls speed is drops to 866 mbit (50-80 MB/s).

Wires still rules.

2 Likes

I see you mentioned 9994, what hardware are you using? (base system + wlan card) ?

Unstable as in crashes or fluctuations?

I have use QCA9994 on J3060 (X86) board, works very good on CT driver and classic firmware, but VHT160 on current branch master OpenWrt is broken (on 18.06.2 stable works).

So I assume Compex WLE1216V5-20-I ?

Its working stable now (even at high speed transfer)?

Are you the author of the youtube vid with the pcie extension etc? I'm contemplating a build using this pcie card and the purpose is primarily high speed wifi (80MB+), would appreciate your thoughts since it seems you've been using this system for a few months.

Did you try the card on bare metal (I see you using VMs) and allocate more than 128MB ram?

I have try it in Windows Server 2016/2019 Hyper-V under OpenWrt (it works), but server is in very long distance from wireless clients, and now i make another miniPC (Q3060G2-P board) with emergency 4G connection and 2.4/5 GHz WiFi in center of my apartments...
Compex WLE1216V5-20-I with the latest 18.06.2 works very stable and with 60-100 MB/s on Broadcom BCM4360 WiFi adapter, but it's VERY HOT, with max rate (~100 MB/s) in 30 minutes on open air temps in chip hits 130'C. It needs AIR cooling.

That rules out putting it inside APU2 and other small passively cooled cases.

At 130C, even if its attached to the enclosure for passive cooling it would heat up the entire box and possibly overheat the main CPU.

I wonder if this would make a better buy: http://shop.compex.com.sg/wireless-modules/mu-mimo/wle1216v5-23.html

Its a "reference" QCA design, and bigger size could make it dissipate heat better..

Thanks for the info

I have use it in close box, with heat pipe and small cooler, it's not too much heat internal components and can be used in close box (just nee to do some holes for passive air cycle). WLE1216v5-23 is too big for miniPC. You can search boards on MediaTek MTK MT7615N (board is cost about 64 USD), there is no VHT160 (for now, but chip itself support it), but on VHT80 it's enough fast (i have get about 80 MB/s) and chip is very cold, and seems that for now it's supports by OpenWrt.

Thanks for your insights.

This? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4x4-802-11ac-Wave2-1733Mbps-MiniPCIE-NIC/32817490188.html

So you prefer this card over the compex QCA9994 you have?
See stability is my main concern, while the mt76 driver is maturing very nicely, I need something stable now, and from my experience with a few devices, QCA devices seem to have a more stable driver. So I need a card that can handle heavy load at high speeds like 80MBps.

mt7615n support in mt76 is very, very new -while I have no personal experience with it yet- I wouldn't expect it to be on par with ath10k or mwlwifi straight away/ for the next couple of months. Long term it has a better prospect, given that it relies much more on common and well tested code (mac80211 with a shallow firmware blob), but new code needs a while to mature (mt7615n support has been largely contributed by Mediatek, which is also a nice sign for the future).

QCA9984/9994 for now is absolutely stable with CT driver and classic firmware, if you want stability in OpenWrt β€” i think it's better, because drivers is finely tuned a years on OpenWrt. But i have an Xiaomi R3P with same MTN7615 and it works as AP more than 1 year 24/7 without any reboots (no hangs or lags), all modern devices properly connected (as robot vacuum cleaner, smart devices, tabs, phones, PC's, notebooks), i think that is very good wireless chip with good potentiality and absolutely not worse, than QCA9984, but more cheap and cold.
And one more, i seen an dual band switching card version on MT7615, you can choose witch frequency run module. or run for VHT80 2x2 5 GHz + 2x2 2.4 GHz, it's very good advantage over one band QCA chips.

Is almost stable with CT driver and classic firmware.. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

If you have a PS4 Pro, can't connect to CT driver. [INFO] Archer C2600 + PS4 Pro Wifi + ath10k-ct drivers

CT firmware is very unstable on 18.06.2, and, for few weeks ago, i have try it on current master branch β€” nothing changed, WiFi module is hangs randomly, for me the best is CT driver with non-CT firmware.

1 Like

Very helpful.

The MTK card is also significantly cheaper. One last thing I wanted to ask, compex had a support forum not long ago, and on it I saw some complains about generally poor range on compex cards (the 9994 specifically). They have since taken the forum down.

How do you find the range/signal on the 9994? In general and compared to the R3P?