Package does not have compatible architecture (Cortex A53)

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Texas Instruments board, based on an AM6442 microprocessor (64bit, dual A53, quad R5F and single M4F). I am trying to install some packages and I am getting the following error:

root@am64xx-evm:~/IPK# sudo opkg install python3-django_4.1.7-1_aarch64_cortex-a53.ipk
Collected errors:
 * Solver encountered 1 problem(s):
 * Problem 1/1:
 *   - package python3-django-4.1.7-1.aarch64_cortex-a53 does not have a compatible architecture
 * Solution 1:
 *   - do not ask to install python3-django-4.1.7-1.aarch64_cortex-a53

Can this problem be fixed?

Why are you using sudo being already root? And can you share the output of ubus call system board?

The package must have the same architecture (compile target) as the OpenWrt image. If yes - there could be something wrong with /etc/opkg.conf.
It could be something else as well - some opkg versions throw this message as a last resort. For an example - you are running a custom image, complied with different options. You may try --nodeps if you are sure the package is compatible.

The error message does not look like opkg from OpenWrt.
Are you running OpenWrt in the board?

2 Likes

He's not using opkg, which suggests he's trying to install vanilla OpenWrt packages onto a third party OpenWrt derivative.

I'm unaware of TI ARM64 hardware being supported by OpenWrt, but I might be wrong.

Is this some Debian derivative you're running? If your OS lacks ubus that is one strange OpenWrt port. Either way, you're out of luck if this is not vanilla OpenWrt (or OpenWrt at all in some form) and your target architecture is slighly different from how OpenWrt treats it.

Since opkg is not just an OpenWrt project but a similar codebase (and the IPK format) is also used by other projects, I'm guessing you are not running OpenWrt in any form whatsoever. Which means we cannot help you with this.

You can always try unpacking the binaries and run them directly, but that's up to you. YMMV.

1 Like

I did not remberber I logged in as root.
I am using Texas Instruments a default image built with Yocto. Nothing is mentioned about Debian or Ubuntu in the manual.
Command "ubus call system board" is not found.
I have just seen a list that shows compatible A53 processors (https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/instructionset/aarch64_cortex-a53) and mine is not listed. so I guess it is not supported.

So is the opkg pointed to the official OpenWrt package repository?
It should be towards the one for the specific build done with the same options, otherwise opkg is likely to throw some error. The "architecture" one is a sort of "catch all" and a last resort in some opkg versions, so is likely to be displayed, even if the same architecture.

That does not matter. As the topic starter explained he's running Yocto, and Yocto's opkg is not OpenWrt's opkg. Nor are the packages binary compatible. This was a long shot from the start. Further explanations in my earlier post in this topic.

1 Like