$100 to teach me how to configure Failover & Remote Access

Hi!

I'm setting up a GL-MiFi 4G Smart Router and need guidance.

I'm happy to pay you $100 USD via PayPal to teach me how to configure the following:

1. Proper failover from eth to cellular (or eth>wifi>cellular (using MWAN or whatever you recommend).
  2. Remote Access (over the web) (via DDNS, or OpenVPN, or whatever you recommend)

A few things I ask of you:

• Clear spoken english (I don't care where you live, I just need to be able to understand)
  • Able to join a 1-2 hour Google Hangouts video call to walk me through the configuration
  • Willing to answer a few followup questions I might have after our session

If interested, send me a message. Thanks!

I liked it better at $100, but even at that...

You should be prepared to answer (or post here)

• What you have tried already
  • How it failed
  • If you already have cellular connectivity
  • If your cellular provider allows incoming connections, answering for IPv4 and IPv6 both
    • If not, if you need remote access when on cellular
3 Likes

I did too! :slight_smile:
Great questions!

I followed a few guides and read the docs for MWAN. I couldn't get it to consistently default to eth0 and only switch to cellular when eth0 wasn't present.
I haven't tried remote access yet. I see there are multiple options and am looking for a recommendation.
I do already have cellular connectivity.
Provider is Twilio, not sure if they allow incoming connections. I do need remote access on cellular.

Cheers

With luck, you'll get some good answers here in not much more time and be able to have those answers help others as well.

Two challenges you are likely to face is that cellular modems are, in general, pretty bad about letting anyone know that the packet link is not up, and the remote access over cellular. The latter, if they block incoming IPv4 connections, might be resolved with IPv6, or might require an external server to serve as a stable, connect-able end point for a tunnel.

3 Likes

I don't think any phone companies allow incoming connections on their 4G. Like @jeff said, you'll have to get creative by involving another server that is on the regular Internet. That falls into the category of special tricks that an expert would charge more than $40 for.

Are you using the GL firmware? I thought that has failover built in.

3 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts @mk24 and @jeff.

What you two are describing is exactly why I'd like to hire someone to help me out. I want to compensate someone for their expertise and be confident things are set up properly (or learn they are not possible the way I think they are) versus muddling through on my own.

Perhaps I should have posted a thread looking for a consultant instead of asking for help with specific configurations. If you know of someone I should reach out to, I would love to get in touch with them.

In light of what you said, I've kicked my offer back up to $100.

Hopefully someone takes me up on it. Cheers

Gotcha. Any recommendations on where I might find someone able to help me set that up?

I am currently. I thought so as well, but it does not work as expected (traffic is being routed over cellular even with eth present)

Post a project on freelancerDOTcom
Your issues are not unfamilar for somebody like me, having developed several mobile hotspot systems.
You want auto failover between WAN and WWAN, in case WWAN available, and back, OR WWAN only ?

Isn't failover a mwan3 thing? I haven't used it as a failover but I'm pretty sure it can handle the failover if configuration is done right.

I recently had to set up that type of thing with mwan3 as my company dsl connection was very unstable and my ISP took months to repair. I had failover for important traffic to a 4G LTE phone, and let public hotpspot and bulk transfer to DSL when it was up. I even put a wireless link to my neigbour dsl and had a 3 way failover with different rules for traffic as I have limited plan on 4G and can't tell everyone to stop downloading when dsl is down.
To answer previous comment, I think we get full connection to internet with no restriction over 4G, at least I can tell I was allowed incoming connections as I had fixed voip phones that worked over 4G, incoming http servers were working too. Problem is that we get dynamic ip that can change at each cell reconnection that can be handle by DDNS. There is a small period outage during that reregistration that can lead to miss calls or unavailable server for some minutes.
As I remember I think on mwan3 you can choose how the network down is detected, either directly when the interface is down or via pinging the internet which is more reliable but based on a polling time.

As I understand, you can assign prios to different users/services. So I would suggest a proxy, which routes certain services/users (like email or the bosses IP) via WWAN permanently, and the other stuff via DSL.

I think this can be achieved through policy-based-routing. So use of vpn-policy-routing should be recommended then.

Yes, similar can be done used policy-based routing. However, I consider the maintenance and documentation of this functionality easier when using a proxy. I.e. the modification and distribution of correct WPAC to certain persons is simpler and much more transparent compared to the manipulation and interpretation of the routing.