For some strange reason my TPLink WR1043 with LEDE 17.01.2 occasionally goes into overdrive, and the CPU sits at 100% with 13 load average, according to htop. Pings are lost or severely delayed (200ms+) and web browsing slows to a crawl. Nothing in particular seems to be using excessive CPU, so I'm not sure what's going on. I can't access LUCI with the error "Bad gateway". It happens randomly (after 4 days this time) and a reboot fixes it. I've attached a screenshot of htop, if anyone has any ideas that'd be great.
Unfortunately the same seems to still be happening. Sys usage is 100%, but adding up the running processes CPU usage only adds up to around 10%. This happens any time I try to access the web interface.
I realise 32MB RAM is quite limiting, but still as Weedy points out below the 100% CPU usage was weird, it was happening for me even with several megabytes free. There was nothing in the log files of any use unfortunately.
I've since built my own image and for the last couple of days things seems to have been stable, with load averages of 0.01 or less. I've got about 5MB RAM free, also stable over the last few days.
I have a similar issue on the W8970, except during these spikes all connections will also be dropped - though the ADSL connection itself will stay up. It's as if it loses all NAT mappings at this points.
The spikes are generally shorter (and the W8970 has 64MB of memory)
Here you go, it's got Luci and IPv6 support built-in
The PPPoE session on my WR1043v1 stays up, but it's just incredibly slow and it does drop a lot of packets.
That said, I'm on 2 days uptime now and it's still going strong, load averages of 0.01 and about 3MB free RAM. I'm going to enable swap space on a USB stick, will be interesting to see if the kernel actually uses any. If it does then it's definitely running out of RAM.